hot water

BlueMantis

ok so I have a 2.5 gallon tank that I wanted to use for live plants and blue velvet shrimp only. For some reason this tank wants to stay at a temperature of around 80-82 degrees. I was just wondering if this would be way too warm for the shrimp and plants to constantly live in. I want to to thrive not just live if you know what I mean, and when I looked up a care sheet for blue velvets (same as cherries) the high end was at 80 degrees

Butterfly

Welcome to FishLore!
Warm water holds less oxygen than cooler water. I personally think as long as you have water movement and keep up your water changes you should be fine as far as the Shrimp are concerned. Temp depends on the plants. Some don't handle constant warmer temps. Hope that helps.
Carol

BlueMantis

ok thanks, I figured out it was this heater that said it would heat the tank to "optimal" temerature (77-80) but it went way beyond that so i'm going to return it for a smaller one I guess. Have you ever used those flat heaters that can be buried, I think its called like great choice minI heater with 7.5 watts? would that be good?

Butterfly

Have never used that type of heater. I tried not to use a tank smaller than 5 gallon for that reason. Good luck! Keep us posted and let us know how things are going.
Carol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StickyRice
  • Question
Replies
Views
AggressiveAquatics
Replies
Views
OniEG