Hot Water!!! Help 

fishdreamer98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi all,
i am very worried about my tank right now. I am out of town at the moment, i will be back home late sunday but then i only have a few days at home before i leave for a month. So here's what happened. Yesterday i got informed by my neighbour who is one of the people watching my tank, that my tanks temperature has reached 90 degrees fahrenheit. I realize this is an extremely high temperature and i am not home to fix it. Will my fish and corals be ok until tomorrow evening? Also when i get home what can i do to bring down the temperature? All i can do while i am away is i told my neighbour to unplug one of my light fixtures for just a little less heat going into the tank.

Also getting a chiller for the month i am away is not really an option since my dad funds my tank and he insists chillers are not necessary, i will try to convince him but chances are close to zero.

Thanks!!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good afternoon,

Here is a link with information on ways to cool your aquarium:

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken

justatank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am suffering same heat issue

I have been doing 7% water changes every 3 to four hours, to bring down water temp 1 degree C. at a time.vent tubes

Set up air conditioner and getting a 2nd for tank area, with 4 inches blowing to air intake for airstones and tank area.

I read the link Ken mentioned earlier today

fishdreamer98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the link Ken!

When i got home the fish and coral were fine and the temperature was down to 85 on its own. So i made the lights higher from the tank and did a water change with slightly cooler water. Now the temperature is at 80 which is good.

So if this ever happens again i will do the cool water change technique, but i cant do air conditioner because like i said before my dad wont fund anything extra for cooling at the moment. And i cant even use normal air conditioning as we don't have that in our house, we live in Canada and its usually never hot enough in the house to need it but this year is different.

Thanks!

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can float bags/bottles of ice in your tank to bring it down next time. Have a few handy so that when one melts you have another ready to go.

Fans blowing across the surface of the water have a dramatic effect on cooling your water. I have a small computer fan I rigged to an old cell phone charger. When my tank starts to get a little warm my aquarium controller turns the fan on. I'd say that little fan can bring my temps down about 3 degrees.

justatank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
any thoughts on running tube of cool water thur tank

While it is wasteful of water my tanks are hovering between 82 and hitting 88, F.

I have added ice, will put a fan or two over the tanks, but i can't be here all day to do water changes

feeling desparate and worried:nopity:

i have tall tanks 24 & 28 high, hoping temp at bottom of tank lower then top of tank,

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Running cold water through tubing in your tank won't work. Plastic or vinyl tubing won't transfer the heat/cold at all. The best thing to transfer heat would be something like copper tubing but using copper in your tank is a no no, especially if you have any shrimp, snails or other inverts.

As I said above, try the bags/bottles of ice and fans. Do you have any cover over the tank or is it open?

You also need to remember that your equipment can add heat to your tank. Your powerheads, lights and any submersible pumps will increase your water temperature. Is it possible that maybe your heater is malfunctioning?

Warmer water also means less oxygenated water. When the water gets that warm you may want to keep a powerhead pointing towards the surface to increase the oxygen exchange. Adding an airstone may also help and this is the only time I would use one in a salt tank.

If all else fails, a chiller may be needed.

This is also why I recommend a controller for your tank. I have programmed my controller to turn on a fan to blow across my water if my temperature gets too high. If the temperature continues to rise then it will also shut off different pieces of equipment as the temperature rises. That includes my lights, my powerheads, my carbon/gfo pump, and more.

justatank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
  • covers are open
  • airation with airstone happening
  • filters cleaned (to increase flow, and ripple surface
  • power head functioning pushing water up and rippling surface
  • lights off
  • air conditioning blowing cold air towards tanks
Thank for the reminders, (made me check filtation, to confirm water circulation, intak from cooler bottom of tank)

I might be able to make a Glass inline water chiller, "glass portion inserted inline to canister, with coated copper but that is for future"

next summer

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you found the cause of the tank over heating? Next time use a fan or two to help cool the water one on top of tank and one on the sump if you have a sump. You really don't want to cool the tank to fast or all life can go into shock.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you sure your thermometer is correct? I have 3 different thermeters on my 150g and I always get 3 different readings in the same tank.
My 90g has two if one reads 80 the other one will read 85, even if I move them around.

You can also run you tank at night or early morning before things heat up in the house too bad.

justatank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My over heating caused by outside temp

and the fact that I NOT blocked the sun from shining into the room.

also I had blocked the normal flow of air past the tanks.

after moving obstructions, and blocking the sun, turning on air conditioning The High outside temp, had less effect on tank temp.

also causing the cooler bottom water to circulate to tank's top, assisted as well.
x for the suggestions

Stang Man said:
Have you found the cause of the tank over heating? Next time use a fan or two to help cool the water one on top of tank and one on the sump if you have a sump. You really don't want to cool the tank to fast or all life can go into shock.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
cm11599ps said:
Fans blowing across the surface of the water have a dramatic effect on cooling your water. I have a small computer fan I rigged to an old cell phone charger. When my tank starts to get a little warm my aquarium controller turns the fan on. I'd say that little fan can bring my temps down about 3 degrees.
Stang Man said:
Next time use a fan or two to help cool the water one on top of tank and one on the sump if you have a sump. You really don't want to cool the tank to fast or all life can go into shock.
+1
I agree too with trying the fan(s) blowing across the surface of the tank. They can make a big difference in tank temps thru evaporative cooling. Drawback is more frequent top-offs but worth it to keep the tank from getting too hot.

justatank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I followed suggestions, Success

Add two fans, and additional air conditioner
Currently 36 degrees Celcious or about 97 F. outside

with the fans and air conditioning tank water is 8 C lower, or 15 F lower

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have a digital thermostate that controls the heating and cooling system in your home you can control the temps constantly, The traditional type are a big waste of energy amd also can be off by +or - 6 degrees so that would be the next step to take if you are not there all the time. The other + for these is that you can program at 7 day intervals to control all the system. I have one and it works very well for the energy and also conservation.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom