Hot water killing my platy's or nitrate spike

1. xshainax Well Known Member Member

My water is 85F in my aquarium could that have killed two of my adult platy's and two fry? Or could a nitrate reading of 20 killed them? I am planning on doing a 50% water change tomorrow.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oh no im sorry :(
    the warmer temps have less oxygen, but not sure it would have killed them...your nitrates are fine....any ammonia or nitrites?

3. xshainax Well Known Member Member

Ph is 7.0 and ammonia is 4.0

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

the ammonia is probably what did it....ammonia is suppose to be 0 ...nitrites 0, and nitrates 20 or under....at 4.0, thats severely toxic....if you can find some prime or
    amquel +, id do an immediate 50% water change with it...continue to do so daily until the tank cycles...the prime or amquel+ will detoxify the ammonia and keep the fish safe if used every 24 hours with a water change...goodluck!

5. xshainax Well Known Member Member

I do a water change once a week but I don't know why the ammonia spiked this much

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

how olds the tank and how was it cycled? mini cycles can happen out of the blue too ...but with the ammonia this high, its in full blown cycle mode and very deadly to the fish :(

7. xshainax Well Known Member Member

I had it set up since September, stupidly changed the filter causing it to have to be re-cycled again which I lost 6 cory's and 3 swordtails. The ones I am worried about most are my DG and clown pleco

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

getting some prime or amquel+ will help save them...hope you can find some!!!

9. xshainax Well Known Member Member

I used some Tetra easy balance + which regulates ideal Ph and KH, reduces nitrates along with phosphates. Hopefully that helps tonight. :(

10. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello there.

The ammonia is the problem, not the pH, not the KH, not the phosphates. You need to take drastic action now. Your fish will probably die unless you protect them from that ammonia. I strongly urge you to get your hands on Prime or Amquel+ if you want to keep your fish.

I am not familiar with Tetra Easy Balance. Is it a dechlorinator? If so, you could do back-to-back 50 percent water changes tonight to remove as much ammonia as possible.

Keep us posted!

11. xshainax Well Known Member Member

It is for matainance and I used an ammonia declorinater too.

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

Good advice from Shawnie and Donna.
    Along with a series of water changes to get the ammonia down, It would be a good idea to add an air stone to replenish some oxygen since he temp is so high.

13. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

??

I'm not sure, but I don't believe there is such a thing as an ammonia dechlorinator. Here's what you need to do: get rid of the ammonia in your tank. At a level 4, as stated above, the ammonia is burning your fish's gills. :eek: You have to get rid of the ammonia ASAP.

There are only 2 ways to do that. One, remove it physically with partial water changes using dechlorinated water. That's what you'll need to do now. So treat some water, using whatever dechlorinator you have. Match the temperature of the water to your tank water, and do one water change of 50 percent and then another water change of 50 percent right after. This will remove your tank water that has ammonia in it.

The second way to remove ammonia is to have bacteria eat it. But that's not an option now because your tank is not cycled. So your only choice now is to do partial water changes.

The reason we're suggesting using Prime or Amquel+ is because those products DETOXIFY ammonia, rendering it harmless to fish. It doesn't remove the ammonia, per se. But in an emergency, dosing with either of those products will help protect your fish along with partial water changes.

Hope this helps. :)

14. xshainax Well Known Member Member

I will see if Petsmart or Bensens has any of that tomorrow

15. Lupinus Member Member

don't know for sure about the Amquel+ but Petsmart carries Prime. It's a white bottle with red labeling.

Not too expensive, I forget how much it was exactly but it wasn't to bad and it's very concentrated so a smaller bottle goes a long way. You can use the cap to measure but I found it much easier to use an oral syringe available from any drugstore, sometimes for free if you ask for one in the pharmacy.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

16. xshainax Well Known Member Member

I bought amquel