Hot Fish Tanks. Help

1. Jose

Jose Valued Member Member

Hey everyone,
    I have a 20 g that is home to three guppies and two platys. I also have a 10 g with a crowntail betta. Both tanks are cycled and the temperature is normally kept around 79 for both tanks. My apartment is normally kept at 69-70 degrees, but in my apartment building I believe the buildings central air system has quit. Its around 82-83 outside and I am on the top floor. So at the moment in my apartment it is around 82-83 degrees which are making my tanks this temperature too. I have looked on the internet and the rest of the week it is suppose to be 86's and up. :(

I am just worried about my fish. I have already made a call to the front office in my apartment complex, but it doesn't look like they till maybe tomorrow (not sure what time during the day).

I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas of how I can keep my guys from getting too hot.
    edit:
    I forgot to mentioned both tanks have airstones and I have already increased the flow of them on both tanks.

Thanks!

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

They are fine. The betta in particular, lol. My tanks stay in the low to mid 80s all summer as I have no AC and there is never a problem (I also keep livebearers and bettas so for what it's worth...).

3. h

hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

You can always do everything you can to keep your apartment cooler. Open all your windows and shades at night, letting the cool air flow in. Early in the morning, ~5:00, run around and close all your windows and shades. In the rooms that get full light, close the shades all the way unless you are in the room and want natural light, and in the rooms that don't get full sun you can close them 1/2 way if you want. Keep the door to your apartment closed, too, to stop hot air from other apartments from coming in.

Pointing a fan at the top of the fish tank will also help. It will increase evaporation. Some people like to put a bucket of ice behind the fan so that it blows cooler air, but I don't know how big of a difference this would make.

Turning off the aquarium lights will also help, but make sure that the fish still get a day/night cycle by having the room light during the day.

Googling "how to keep a fish tank cool in summer" will give you some more ideas, as will "how to keep a house/apartment cool in summer". Hope this helps you out!

4. OP
    OP
    Jose

Thanks everyone!!
    I was worried about them getting too hot. I am hoping they can fix the ac tomorrow as I don't like roasting myself, but I am glad they should be okay (my main worry). I plan to follow these tips, and I will do some research on google.

Thanks again!!

5. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

You could always put some ice cubes in a plastic bag and just let the plastic bag float. It will help a little, but I think they'll be fine. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. a

amdpayne Valued Member Member

Personally I freeze some tank water then add those cubes once they're frozen.

7. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

It's so not a big deal...

8. a

amdpayne Valued Member Member

I'm sure if the tank got a disease in it or the temps were too high for very long, it could become a big deal. For a day or two maybe it's not a problem. I've never had any fish seem like they're ill or suffering while my temps have been 83-90 for a couple days in my neon/cherry barb and betta tanks.

9. poeticinjustices

poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Yep, not a biggie unless there's another complicating issue. Just make sure the water surface is well agitated as the oxygen content will drop significantly in that temperature.

10. OP
    OP
    Jose

Thanks for the response everyone.

I just wanted everyone to know that everything went fine the air was fixed the next day.

And I gain thank everyone for the response.