hospital tank

1. dano569 Member Member

should you leave a hospital tank set up or set it up when you need it? :-\

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

i think leave it set up or else you will have to re-cycle it every time and the sick fish will probably die from the ammonia before they die of the disease.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Right you are Emma ;) Some people leave the "Q" tank running with a platy or molly in it to keep it cycled then move it when they put a fish into quarantine. Hope this helps ;D
    Carol

4. dano569 Member Member

yeah it does i've never had a hospital tank before and i'm buying another 55 so i will have my 10 for a hospital tank. ;)

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I think Carol has also mentioned elsewhere that it's OK when you keep your filter from the Q tank running on your main tank, so that when you need the Q tank, all you have to do is to fill the Q tank with water and transfer that filter from the main tank to the Q tank. Carol, which is better: keeping the Q tank filter running on the main tank OR keeping the Q tank cycled with some fish?

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I prefer to keep the "Q" tank filter running on the main tank to keep it cycled. Then I can put the empty tank away until I need it. But not all people can stand an empty tank around so keep a fish or two in it to keep it cycle ;D
    Carol

7. dano569 Member Member

so if you keep that filter running on a another tank it would be ok to put the q tank empty then fill it up with water when you need it?how long would it have to run until it would be safe to put a fish in?

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

As soon as you put the filter on it, the beneficial bacteria is all ready established in the filter.
    Carol

9. dano569 Member Member

so you won't have an ammonia problem or anything ;)

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

No thats the advantage of keeping the "Q" tank filter running and operational on another tank with fish in it.
    Carol

11. dano569 Member Member

I REALLY APPRECIATE THE ADVICE 8)

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Glad to help ;)
    Carol