Hospital tank water got into my mouth Help

1. click Well Known Member Member

Ok, I might be paranoid but I was doing WC on my Q tank where my guppy with camallanus infection lives now and I was getting frustrated that the symphon was not starting and thought I will give it a boost by sucking out the air. Well of course a bit of water got into my mouth and I immediately spit it out and used mouth washer but now I wonder if I can get the worms from him. I've been googling like crazy and I cannot find a clear answer. There is no definitive YES or NO. I know it was stupid of me to suck the air out of a hospital tank, but it's done now and I can't undo it. Help :;dk

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

eeew. sorry, you grossed me out.

the little bit i'm seeing says no. it's rare for humans to get nemotodes anyway.

3. click Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to grose anyone out. Imagine how I felt when it happend ;:barf

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

No worries about grossing people out. It's going to happen, especially in cases like this.

It's not likely that you'll develop any problems because of this, especially since you didn't actually swallow anything. Many, many people have gotten tank water in their mouths, and even swallowed it, and I don't think I've ever heard of a case of illness or parasites that has resulted.

5. kacie Member Member

Worms are good for you. boost your immune system. Seriously having worms as a kid reduces your likelihood of developing asthma.

6. click Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the reasuring. If it would have happend with the regular tank and without having fish with problems, I would not have worried, but this was my hospital tank, and I know for sure this poor little fishy is sick. It's just unsettling and can't help wondering.

7. kacie Member Member

I had the callamanus worms in my 20g tank and am always wondering if i have intestinal worms, too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for us both.

8. eiginh Well Known Member Member

You'll both find out if you keep losing weight and you don't know why! j/k I'm sure our immune system is a lot stronger than a fish that is barely bigger than an inch.

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

really, I think you are fine. But if you are freaked out enough, you might want to give your doctor's office a call.

10. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

maybe you should soak your dinners in garlic juice for a couple of weeks!!!....lol JK

You should be absolutely fine!!! Anything your fish might have, is not a human type disease.

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Click.
    Here is a link you may find helpful and interesting to read:
    Fish Diseases Transmitted to Humans

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I haven't run across any information that the worms could be spread from tank to humans. As mentioned above most of us have swallowed tank water at one time or another that has been dosed with who knows what. lol (myself included) ;:barf
    I'm still kickin'!

Ken

12. click Well Known Member Member

Thank you all, I feel much better now. Like I said, I couldn't find any article referring to these infections in humans so one can assume it can't happen. I think the rule "if is not on the internet it doesn't exist" can be applied here.

To be honest, garlic is very much appreciated in our family and we usually have fish with garlic (don't tell my guppies :rolleyes:). But we only have garlic on the weekends, when we don't plan going out, for obvious reasons. No matter how much gum or tooth paste you use, others can still smell it, lol. But Friday is here and guess what we have for dinner :drool:

13. crazedACD Member Member

If that happens, send me some of that water, I could use it! :;banaman

14. Kivstev Member Member

Check your underwear for little reds in about 4 to 6 weeks... If you have any I can sell you some Levamisole tonic. :;co

;D

BTW: Anyone ever check out The Animal Channel's 'Monsters Inside Me' about human parasites? Great show. Hopefully the thread starter doesn't make it on there!

:;a1

15. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW thank goodness that's not gonna happen LOL

Carol

16. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

eeeeeew again!!! first we reassure you, then we slam you, then we reassure you, then we slam you!!!! lolololol

I sure hope that you know you'll be fine!!!!

Nothing like online counselling!!! :;laughing

(Sorry Ted didn't mean to edit, meant to quote DUH
    Carol)

17. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

You know you get what you pay for :anim_35:
    Carol

18. click Well Known Member Member

Hey, at least I'll get my 15 minutes of fame :anim_35:

I prefer online counseling than going to my family doctor because I already know she will tell me to go home and have some Advil. That's her solution for everything :;sh
    None of you have prescribed Advil yet so you are all better than she is :;th

19. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Click, I've been researching your dilemma extensively, and finally found a solution! Take some Advil.. :;laughing

20. click Well Known Member Member

lol, I kinda asked for it didn't I? :;rl