Hospital Tank Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mpq1996, Apr 26, 2017.

1. mpq1996New MemberMember

I have a hospital tank ive had set up for a few weeks now with a couple different treatments in that time and daily water changes, this most recent one seems to be working a little bit. But it is starting to accumilate stuff stuff on the bottom and sides. I was wondering if i could put my bottom feeder in there for a couple hours to clean that stuff out and move him back to the main tank? My only fear is he possibly picks up the disease i am treatin himmfor or that it is too stressfull for him

2. ChaoryValued MemberMember

Just vacuum it with a gravel vac.

3. RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

I use a paper towel or a fish tank scrubber from Petco/Petsmart for stuff stuck to the glass and then I use the gravel vac to pick up the debris. :)

4. DonSleeperNew MemberMember

Yeah I wouldn't recommend putting your bottom feeder into the hospital tank. The change in water parameters (especially the multiple medications) could stress him out enough to make him sick. Especially if there are potentially diseases from other fish in the tank. You could use a unused sponge or paper towel to wipe the sides of the tank clean and a siphon for the bottom.

5. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Quarantine and hospital tanks should be temporary.

This is what I do;

I keep a spare thing of media, in my case a filter media bag filled with polyfil and lava rock and another bag filled with fluvals biomax media. I keep them in a healthy established aquarium. Some people go as far as doing a fishless cycle for 100% disease free media but imo its not worth the effort since my way works for me. Whenever I need to hospital something I can fill my hospital tank with clean water and throw in the established media for an instant cycled aquarium.
    After treatment is over I throw away the polyfil, boil the lava rock and biomax and repeat the process.

For my quarantine tanks, I keep a spare tray of biomax in a wetdry tower for the same purpose or for new aquariums i'm starting. My quarantine section is always almost filled so I don't empty them often.

This way I do not have to have a temporary tank up and running 24/7 besides you do not want to cross contaminate by putting a fish that had ich into an aquarium that could have TB or something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice