Horse People On Fishlore?

GoldFiska

Any other fish keeper also an equestrian?
If so, what breed do you have and what discipline do you ride?

I don't have my own horse currently, but my favorite breed is any kind of warmblood or Lusitanos. I ride all-around, nothing better than a good gallop on the beach imo

Fanatic

Don't own a horse, but I sneak over to my neighbor's yard, and feed it carrots.
They don't care for their horse very well, he's skinny, and very dirty.

BettaFishyLuvr

Aw that’s awful. I also don’t own a horse but I had took riding lessons until a few months ago. I could have gotten a horse if I continued but 7th grade was taking to much energy

Fanatic

Aw that’s awful. I also don’t own a horse but I had took riding lessons until a few months ago. I could have gotten a horse if I continued but 7th grade was taking to much energy

Yeah, it's very sad. The horse got such a grossly dirty nasal cavity, it grew a cyst, and then it went away after a few months.

GoldFiska

ahh yes, middle school. we've all gone through it.

Did you ride English or western?

Yeah, it's very sad. The horse got such a grossly dirty nasal cavity, it grew a cyst, and then it went away after a few months.

That's awful! If he's that skinny, I wouldn't hesitate to call animal control.

Fanatic

That's awful! If he's that skinny, I wouldn't hesitate to call animal control.

I was going to, but I don't know if I should yet.

Abby565

Yes! I didn't know that there was equestrians on FishLore! I've been riding way longer then I've been into fish and it is my life! I do love my fish tanks though! I've been riding english since I was was four and I'm in 9th grade now. I don't own a horse but I take lessons and lease a 7 year old OTTB that I do pony club and event on! He is the absolute best! He does have a strange name... his racing name was Wood n Spoon. I call him Spoon!

GoldFiska

Yes! I didn't know that there was equestrians on FishLore! I've been riding way longer then I've been into fish and it is my life! I do love my fish tanks though! I've been riding english since I was was four and I'm in 9th grade now. I don't own a horse but I take lessons and lease a 7 year old OTTB that I do pony club and event on! He is the absolute best! He does have a strange name... his racing name was Wood n Spoon. I call him Spoon!

That's awesome, I love OTTBs. They have so much energy!

I've never tried eventing. I've done hunter/jumper as a kid, and I would love to run a cross country course some time, but I'm not sure I have the patience for dressage, haha.

BettaFishyLuvr

ahh yes, middle school. we've all gone through it.

Did you ride English or western?
I’m pretty sure western, if my horsey nerd inside knows anything, it’s that I rode a western(they never actually told me but I have literally been reading about horse since I was 6)

GoldFiska

I’m pretty sure western, if my horsey nerd inside knows anything, it’s that I rode a western(they never actually told me but I have literally been reading about horse since I was 6)

I used to ride western as well! Western pleasure, specifically. It's a rather drab sport, in my opinion...I switched to hunter jumpers right away. I would love to try reining though.

BettaFishyLuvr

Haha I just learned how to flat out ride the horse, post, and started posting at the trot, and with that(which btw turned my legs to jelly) mixed with gym, walking a ferret and dog, occasional gymnastics, and the fish tanks, I couldn’t do it. I only have so much energy lol for example, right now I’m running on 4 hours of sleep so I’m talking gibberish to my mother

GoldFiska

Haha I just learned how to flat out ride the horse, post, and started posting at the trot, and with that(which btw turned my legs to jelly) mixed with gym, walking a ferret and dog, occasional gymnastics, and the fish tanks, I couldn’t do it. I only have so much energy lol for example, right now I’m running on 4 hours of sleep so I’m talking gibberish to my mother

oh boy, that was probably a good choice to quit then. Take care of yourself first

Abby565

That's awesome, I love OTTBs. They have so much energy!

I've never tried eventing. I've done hunter/jumper as a kid, and I would love to run a cross country course some time, but I'm not sure I have the patience for dressage, haha.
Yeah so much energy.... tell that to my cousin's OTTB..... there is a reason she was a terrible racehorse! But mine does have plenty of energy, a little to much! Cross country is literally the best though, it is every eventers favorite pretty much. I actually enjoy dressage a lot because of the connection you feel with your horse.

Vision

We have a 6year old Friesian/national show horse cross. He’s just started under saddle and had his first ride a couple weeks ago. He needed a little extra time to mentally grow up
I grew up riding mostly English,loved jumping till my trainers got me hooked on Dressage. Vision is going to get a good dressage start then I plan on making him an all around horse. He’d look super cute in a western saddle. His dad does everything, tricks, English and western.

GoldFiska

We have a 6year old Friesian/national show horse cross. He’s just started under saddle and had his first ride a couple weeks ago. He needed a little extra time to mentally grow up
I grew up riding mostly English,loved jumping till my trainers got me hooked on Dressage. Vision is going to get a good dressage start then I plan on making him an all around horse. He’d look super cute in a western saddle. His dad does everything, tricks, English and western.

That sounds wonderful. Assuming he is the horse in your profile pic, he is quite beautiful.

Have you ever heard of western dressage/cowboy dressage? My old trainer used to teach them. Don't know much about it, but they seem pretty interesting.

Vision

I have seen that, a couple people I know have played around with it and it looks like a lot of fun. I’m a huge advocate of cross training for everything lol my fiancé loves trail riding so we’ve been hand walking through obstacles and trail courses to get used to everything cuz he can be a big baby about things lol

Pirate Queen

Hi, I have a 17 yr old TB mare and a 15 yr old STB gelding. I've been a bit slack in the riding department recently but am just waiting for a new bit for the TB and then we'll start some fittening work and lots of trail riding!!!

Vision

There’s a few people that trailer out to trail ride and I can’t wait till I can join! We have a long way to go but that’s the fiancés fav thing to do. (Which means we definitely need a second horse so we can go together!)

Pirate Queen

There’s a few people that trailer out to trail ride and I can’t wait till I can join! We have a long way to go but that’s the fiancés fav thing to do. (Which means we definitely need a second horse so we can go together!)
The only problem I have is that they love each other so much that they can't bear to be separated so I have to ride and lead one!!

GoldFiska

Hi, I have a 17 yr old TB mare and a 15 yr old STB gelding. I've been a bit slack in the riding department recently but am just waiting for a new bit for the TB and then we'll start some fittening work and lots of trail riding!!!

Trail riding sounds fun! To be honest I've been quite inconsistent with my riding recently and trail riding is the only thing I have time for nowadays. And not to mention, it will be goldfish breeding season soon so I will have even less time for riding. *sigh*

By the way, what bit are you using? I usually use a snaffle or a side-pull (bitless) when I ride since I don't do nothin too fancy.

Pirate Queen

Trail riding sounds fun! To be honest I've been quite inconsistent with my riding recently and trail riding is the only thing I have time for nowadays. And not to mention, it will be goldfish breeding season soon so I will have even less time for riding. *sigh*

By the way, what bit are you using? I usually use a snaffle or a side-pull (bitless) when I ride since I don't do nothin too fancy.
My gelding is in a frenchlink snaffle and the new one for my mare is called a precision training bit, it has a middle link and can be used as a gag or snaffle, hopefully its suitable as we've tried loose ring snaffle, frenchlink, happy mouth Mullen Dutch gag so far!!!

KakeHugs

Don't own a horse and never was able to find somewhere to take lessons until recently (which now I have no money to) but I still consider myself a horse person.
Since I don't own a horse yet, my dream to have a dapple grey thoroughbred mare Also, this mare named Slamming Gin that runs are my local racetrack would be nice

Pirate Queen

Don't own a horse and never was able to find somewhere to take lessons until recently (which now I have no money to) but I still consider myself a horse person.
Since I don't own a horse yet, my dream to have a dapple grey thoroughbred mare Also, this mare named Slamming Gin that runs are my local racetrack would be nice
I love greys and palominos too, my dream horse is a palomino QH gelding bit they're out of my price range

GoldFiska

That's awesome! What discipline do you ride?

I love greys and palominos too, my dream horse is a palomino QH gelding bit they're out of my price range

Talking about coat colors...one of my favorites is silver bay. I am assuming that they are quite expensive since the color is quite uncommon.

Pirate Queen

Talking about coat colors...one of my favorites is silver bay. I am assuming that they are quite expensive since the color is quite uncommon.
More than likely!!! My gelding is bay and my mare is a very dark bay almost black with a white star.

Vision

I use a oval mouth eggbutt so nothing fancy here either, if vision wasn’t as...reactive lol his first ride would have probably been in a halter and lead. But how people normally think ottbs are crazy and hot tempered is more how he is lol he’s getting better but he has some big reactions and has no issue deciding he just wants to leave and be done. I haven’t gotten out in about a month because of work. Hopefully it’ll change soon.

SecretiveFish

I have a baroque horse breed that is gray, so late fall/winter/early spring she just looks gross due to all the rain/mud we have to deal with. We do our best to do dressage and still have lots and lots to learn!

...Since I don't own a horse yet, my dream to have a dapple grey thoroughbred mare

You may not know, but the dapple gray phase typically only lasts a few years. They get more and more white as they get older making the dappling go away... so lame!!!

KakeHugs

That's awesome! What discipline do you ride?

Well, I still haven't been able to take lessons but I really like hunter jumpers or cross country. The place Ive found to take lessons at in the futures seems to mainly do showjumping so

I have a baroque horse breed that is gray, so late fall/winter/early spring she just looks gross due to all the rain/mud we have to deal with. We do our best to do dressage and still have lots and lots to learn!
You may not know, but the dapple gray phase typically only lasts a few years. They get more and more white as they get older making the dappling go away... so lame!!!

Yes I do know! All the more reason to love greys even tho the dapples are my favorite

BettasnMore

Any other fish keeper also an equestrian?
If so, what breed do you have and what discipline do you ride?

I don't have my own horse currently, but my favorite breed is any kind of warmblood or Lusitanos. I ride all-around, nothing better than a good gallop on the beach imo
All my life!! I have a QH gelding who is the best thing ever, we ride dressage.

GoldFiska

All my life!! I have a QH gelding who is the best thing ever, we ride dressage.

Ah so many dressage riders on this forum! Makes me wanna try it, but I don't have the time to take up a new discipline. Do you ride competitively?

junebug

Ah so many dressage riders on this forum! Makes me wanna try it, but I don't have the time to take up a new discipline. Do you ride competitively?

I used to do three day events. But my favorite events were jumping, both in the arena and cross country. I was good once upon a time, too. Now, my joints are reminding me I should have been more careful LOL.

My favorite horse is the Connemara pony. Preferably the ones tall enough for me to ride. My best horse was a seal brown Connemara pony. He learned moves I was previously sure only Lippizans could do! Best horse I ever had. And he could jump higher, with more perfect form, almost never clipping unless I did something wrong, than any of the other horses I ever had, including my very tall Appendix gelding.

BettasnMore

I do, but not at a high level. I've shown intro dressage some and going to do more this coming year. Other than that I've shown hunt seat.

Abby565

I used to do three day events. But my favorite events were jumping, both in the arena and cross country. I was good once upon a time, too. Now, my joints are reminding me I should have been more careful LOL.

My favorite horse is the Connemara pony. Preferably the ones tall enough for me to ride. My best horse was a seal brown Connemara pony. He learned moves I was previously sure only Lippizans could do! Best horse I ever had. And he could jump higher, with more perfect form, almost never clipping unless I did something wrong, than any of the other horses I ever had, including my very tall Appendix gelding.

I event too! What level did you do?

junebug

I event too! What level did you do?

Depends on how you counted LOL. I was in Pony Club as a kid, and I got up to mid-level in that. Then I was in 4H for a long time and I rode in a bunch of shows through them and a few linked clubs. I sadly had to give up riding when I was in college. I had a horse I planned to take pretty far, as I was training him from just barely saddle-broke. But then he broke my arm and gave me a concussion (twice) and I was done. It's annoying because once upon a time I was the bronco buster for the kids that couldn't stay on their ponies LOL.

Abby565

Depends on how you counted LOL. I was in Pony Club as a kid, and I got up to mid-level in that. Then I was in 4H for a long time and I rode in a bunch of shows through them and a few linked clubs. I sadly had to give up riding when I was in college. I had a horse I planned to take pretty far, as I was training him from just barely saddle-broke. But then he broke my arm and gave me a concussion (twice) and I was done. It's annoying because once upon a time I was the bronco buster for the kids that couldn't stay on their ponies LOL.

That's great. I suppose I'm still a kid, kind of(I'm 14 turning 15 soon). I am in Pony Club, I just received my full C-3 this summer!! I'm still really excited about that. Also this summer I moved up to PrelI'm level in eventing!! Also really happy with that!

But what I meant in my original question was what eventing level you competed at. In the US it goes Beginner Novice, Novice, Training, Preliminary, Intermediate, Advanced. If you are in a different country, I have no idea!

junebug

That's great. I suppose I'm still a kid, kind of(I'm 14 turning 15 soon). I am in Pony Club, I just received my full C-3 this summer!! I'm still really excited about that. Also this summer I moved up to PrelI'm level in eventing!! Also really happy with that!

But what I meant in my original question was what eventing level you competed at. In the US it goes Beginner Novice, Novice, Training, Preliminary, Intermediate, Advanced. If you are in a different country, I have no idea!

I think they used a different metric when I was riding. I only really did Pony Club shows when I was young. Everything was decided by your level in Pony Club. Most of them were 3-days though I hate dressage (riding it, not watching it) so I usually tried to do shows that only involved jumping LOL.

Whatever metric you're using, I was probably mid-level dressage and I think the highest jump I ever went over on purpose was 3 foot 6 inch LOL.

Congrats on getting C-3! I think I stopped going to Pony Club due to.... well a whole set of circumstances, right before I would have taken my C-3 test. I made the huge mistake of selling my Connemara whom I later realized would have taken me a long way (he was the best horse ever, I swear) and switched horses every few months for about a year, then quit pony club when my favorite instructor retired. I intended to move forward down other avenues and learn some new things, but then smashed up my head and arm my senior year of high school, which put me out of riding commission on my 4 year old horse for about 6 months, then he gave me another concussion on the last day of my freshman year of college. And I was done. Not because I don't love horses and riding, but other things were more important, namely music <3. I had to choose whether I would be a professional horseperson, or do other things, and devote my time accordingly.

Abby565

I think they used a different metric when I was riding. I only really did Pony Club shows when I was young. Everything was decided by your level in Pony Club. Most of them were 3-days though I hate dressage (riding it, not watching it) so I usually tried to do shows that only involved jumping LOL.

Whatever metric you're using, I was probably mid-level dressage and I think the highest jump I ever went over on purpose was 3 foot 6 inch LOL.

Congrats on getting C-3! I think I stopped going to Pony Club due to.... well a whole set of circumstances, right before I would have taken my C-3 test. I made the huge mistake of selling my Connemara whom I later realized would have taken me a long way (he was the best horse ever, I swear) and switched horses every few months for about a year, then quit pony club when my favorite instructor retired. I intended to move forward down other avenues and learn some new things, but then smashed up my head and arm my senior year of high school, which put me out of riding commission on my 4 year old horse for about 6 months, then he gave me another concussion on the last day of my freshman year of college. And I was done. Not because I don't love horses and riding, but other things were more important, namely music <3. I had to choose whether I would be a professional horseperson, or do other things, and devote my time accordingly.

That's too bad that you quit.... And why did you sell your connemara? But it's interesting how they did the levels!

But seriously, how do you hate riding dressage? My horse shares your opinon, but I love it!

What kind of music do you mean? I honestly can't imagine quitting riding for anything!

BettaLover7

I used to have a chestnut quarter horse named Ransom we rode western I lost him on December 22, 2014. After I lost him I wasn't sure if I would ride again it hurt to much. But in August of 2015 I had the chance to work with a paint named Lightning! I was going to buy him but that didn't work out. I haven't had the chance to ride sense the beginning of 2016 that's when I got into fishkeeping. But I do miss working with horses!

junebug

That's too bad that you quit.... And why did you sell your connemara? But it's interesting how they did the levels!

But seriously, how do you hate riding dressage? My horse shares your opinon, but I love it!

What kind of music do you mean? I honestly can't imagine quitting riding for anything!

I found dressage boring. I don't know why. I think mostly I wanted to feel like I was flying LOL.

So I sold Angus because he was 13.2 hands and I was about 5'5 at 13. I assumed I would keep growing for a few more years and would soon be too tall to ride him efficiently. Sadly I actually stopped growing at 13 LOL. But, a friend of mine and my mom's, from Pony Club, moved to Idaho. She met some horse people up there, and was telling one of them with a young girl (about 8) who love jumping about my pony, and I guess the people loved what they heard because they contacted my mom with an offer to buy him for an outrageous price (at the time anyway. I'm sure 5 grand seems like a pittance for the same type of horse these days LOL). I figured since I was about to outgrow him, I might as well let someone else ride him, and get a bigger horse for myself. BIGGEST. MISTAKE. EVER. He was the best pony... :,( I still have pictures of me riding him bareback at a full gallop at Pony Club camp.

Edit: Oh and I was doing a double major in college; voice with an emphasis on education, and creative writing. I was going to be a teacher haha. Didn't end up happening. But such is life.

Culprit

I have a quarter horse. We only ride it for fun though. I have tried jumping a bit

Abby565

I found dressage boring. I don't know why. I think mostly I wanted to feel like I was flying LOL.

So I sold Angus because he was 13.2 hands and I was about 5'5 at 13. I assumed I would keep growing for a few more years and would soon be too tall to ride him efficiently. Sadly I actually stopped growing at 13 LOL. But, a friend of mine and my mom's, from Pony Club, moved to Idaho. She met some horse people up there, and was telling one of them with a young girl (about 8) who love jumping about my pony, and I guess the people loved what they heard because they contacted my mom with an offer to buy him for an outrageous price (at the time anyway. I'm sure 5 grand seems like a pittance for the same type of horse these days LOL). I figured since I was about to outgrow him, I might as well let someone else ride him, and get a bigger horse for myself. BIGGEST. MISTAKE. EVER. He was the best pony... :,( I still have pictures of me riding him bareback at a full gallop at Pony Club camp.

Edit: Oh and I was doing a double major in college; voice with an emphasis on education, and creative writing. I was going to be a teacher haha. Didn't end up happening. But such is life.

I still feel big on 13.2 ponies and I'm only 5.2! But yeah, that makes sense that you sold him. The sad irony that you stopped growing at 13 though! At least that little girl got am amazing pony!

AxolotlAquarist

A tad late, but I'm an equestrian here. I ride the horse of a girl at my school. Her father bought her a pony and she turned the pony down, saying she didn't want to ride. Now I ride "the pony" (an American quarter horse, palomino, called Goldie) English, and we're training for hunter-jumper.

Fanatic

My neighbors horse is still holding up, but he’s very dirty from all the rain I’ve been getting.

Lil Mac

Hey, just joined this forum and see there are horse ppl on here too haha, so thought I'd say hi!
I have 2 horses and a pony. One Paint mare, Lady, who is my trail riding partner but who I am currently treating for EPM . Then I have my first "non-rescue" horse, Elska, my year and a half old Icelandic filly. And lastly, Clyde, my shetland (mini?) cross who is quite a character.
I mostly just trail ride here in Michigan but hope to ride in other states someday.

SecretiveFish

Hey, just joined this forum and see there are horse ppl on here too haha, so thought I'd say hi!
I have 2 horses and a pony. One Paint mare, Lady, who is my trail riding partner but who I am currently treating for EPM . Then I have my first "non-rescue" horse, Elska, my year and a half old Icelandic filly. And lastly, Clyde, my shetland (mini?) cross who is quite a character.
I mostly just trail ride here in Michigan but hope to ride in other states someday.
Hi! Trail riding is really fun, and I hope to at least fit a few trail rides in this year. My horse and I mostly do dressage but she loves the trails!

Lil Mac

I've never done Dressage but some friends of mine do and I've watched them practicing before and it looks really neat!

Basil

I also joined a month or so ago. I have 3 TB geldings, 26 yrs. old, 12 yrs. old and 8 yrs. old. Two of them raced; one lacerated a tendon and never started, But he is sound for pleasure riding.
My sport of choice is foxchasing but I also love dressage and trail riding (and doing both makes a nice hunt horse!).

Albifrons

I see that it's been a couple weeks since this thread has been added to, but I'll happily join the fray! I used to ride, and am getting back into it after a 6 month break! My trainer has moved to a new barn and is getting new horses which is really exciting! I've been riding since 5th grade and I love it! It's so much fun in too many ways to count!

Abby565

I see that it's been a couple weeks since this thread has been added to, but I'll happily join the fray! I used to ride, and am getting back into it after a 6 month break! My trainer has moved to a new barn and is getting new horses which is really exciting! I've been riding since 5th grade and I love it! It's so much fun in too many ways to count!

What discipline do you do?

Albifrons

When I competed I did dressage, but now I'm primarily a rider for pleasure. Although I still ride with the dressage style, I don't really do jumping or anything like that.

What discipline do you do?
What about you?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• W1llHuntfish
  • Horse
Replies
Views
FireflySky
Replies
Views
NavigatorBlack
  • natureandwildlife