HORROR movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't know how many of you like (or dislike) horror and thriller movies. I was wondering what's your best (or worst) horror or thriller movie and why. The scariest horror movies that I ever saw were: "Texas Chainsaw Massacre," "Saw," and "House of Wax." Have any of you seen these movies? I know they're just movies, but to even have such ideas for a movie in one's mind is frightening. How do people get such horrible ideas in their heads? "House of Wax" was particularly shocking! If you saw the movie, you'll know what I am talking about. Yuck!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I saw a movie when I was very young (and had to fib to my mother as to where we were going) called The Last House on the Left. It was a chainsaw murder and blood everywhere kind of thing and I had a friend staying over that night. I don't know if it was because I had fibbed to my parents or because of the movie but I didn't sleep well for weeks. It was so SCARY I remembered it for years. I still like horror movies, but that is the one I remember the best for some reason.

Rose

Kelley

Reaction score
The first horror film I saw was Invasion of the body snatchers. My gosh being 9 years old and at a sitters house. late at night in the dark and in black and white. Then there where the bad B movie that Elvira use to show on the weekend. If your over 30 you know what I mean. Elvira who ?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh yes, ELVIRA - WOOOOO!!!! It was enough to give me the nightmare of the week for sure. ;D

We had a local Dr. Sanguinary.

Rose

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Scary Movies???

Oh yeah....

The Exorcist - Still scares me to the point where I can't watch it in the dark or alone....yet I have to watch it.....
When a Stranger Calls - The original - not the recent remake....Best line "Why aren't you watching children?"
Halloween - Not so much scary as creepy....
Psycho- The original with Anthony Hopkins

Thrillers:
Alien
Aliens
The Thing

I didn't find the Texas Chain Saw Masacres to be scary, just gory....but I can see why it would scare some.

RoboDude

Valued Member
Reaction score
The Exorcism of Emily Rose and The Exorcist has always scared me, and When a Stranger Calls, too! I found the Grudge a very corny and no-good movie. Almost forgot about the Ring! Whenever I watch it, I wet myself! The Sixth Sense isn't at all scary, but I find it's still a great movie to watch!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I thought "The Grudge" was boring and dull too, not scary at all - waste of time to watch! (At least in my opinion.) "Sixth Sense" was indeed interesting to watch, I like thrillers too. Especially "What Lies Beneath" - loved that one.

dano569

Valued Member
Reaction score
the ring was scary to me,and the night of the demons movies,also when i was younger the nightmare on elm st movies were scary.any movie like house of wax,saw, or hostel is scary if you think about it because that stuff could really happen.

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
I really dont like Sacry movies but I thought The butterfly effect was very good, and yes the sixth sense was also very good, i like movies with a twist, not so much the ones that scare my pants off!

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
One of the best has to be Friday the 13 . first 2 movies

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kerryve ... I love scary movies ... precisely because I know they're not real so there is really nothing to be afraid of, lol (Well, except for the above 3 movies I mentioned ... they're not unrealistic at all because this kind of stuff COULD happen if some psycho crazy enough set out to do such things to people!)

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My first horror was the original 'The Blob'..I was seven and my folks let me stay up to see it..big mistake,they had to search my room and under my bed several times before I went to bed,lol..but I'd have to say within recent times,the one movie that actually caught my attention was 'Signs' with Mel Gibson..the same dude who did Sixth Sense did this one and he did a great job with the formula of scaring you with the things you don't see directly but only catch a glimpse of out the corner of your eye...'Blair Witch Project' used the same technique quite well..as did 'Open Water' with the couple on vacation in the tropics(Where I Live!!) who went out scubadiving with a boat that accidentally left them out there in the water..knowing the sharks were there without seeing them was scary as all **** especially when they were getting bitten!

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Isabella... Oooh no, I think im a bit of a baby when it comes to scary movies!!! I dont care if they arent real cos ive got an imagination that can run away with me sometimes! But I do like to watch things like medical detectives and things like that, a bit strange though! Maybe Im just strange!heh

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dog Soldiers is one of the scariest movies i have seen...i think this is because ive always been scared of warewolves,ever since watching American warewolf in london when i was about 10 years old..i think i watched the first ten minutes and started crying,had nightmares for weeks..but aliens is one of the best movies ever made in my opinion..also the predator movies..but Dog Soldiers is a must see if you like horror movies..

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dog Soldiers is one of the scariest movies i have seen...i think this is because ive always been scared of warewolves,ever since watching American warewolf in london when i was about 10 years old..i think i watched the first ten minutes and started crying,had nightmares for weeks..but aliens is one of the best movies ever made in my opinion..also the predator movies..but Dog Soldiers is a must see if you like horror movies..

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
LOL, David. Notice how horror movies, even if they're not that scary to an average adult, affect small children. If you're a small child and watch a horror movie, it can leave such an imprint on your psyche, that it stays with you for years and you end up remembering it as the "scariest movie" you ever saw. Child psychology is very interesting (as well as very important for parents!).

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hm....I enjoyed Dog Soldiers, Alien, Aliens...but they were so action oriented that they didn't scare me so much as caused me to feel suspense and such.

On the other hand, The Ring, The Exorcist, Event Horizon all scared me a great deal, perhaps because they mostly dealt with issues of the mind and imagination.

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
American werewolf in london is still a pretty scarey movie even now after all these years,its an old classic... ive watched it again since the first time all those years ago,and still found it quite frightning especialy the part when he transforms from a human to a werewolf.. :'( lol..yeah aliens isnt really scary as such just a really good movie,i have watched it at least 10 times.. i like to turn the lights out and turn the volume right up.. ;D ..

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't usually get scared when watching movies that I know are unrealistic in real life, like movies about warewolves, aliens, or some other creatures out of this world, lol. The movies that DO scare me are the ones presenting scenarios that COULD happen in real life - which is what makes these movies so scary. Like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - it is certainly conceivable for someone to grab a chainsaw and chase people with it (just recently in Manhattan subways in NYC, some maniac hurt a man with a chainsaw!). Or like The House of Wax - it also is possible to conceive of a psycho who'd do wax sculptures out of living people. Themes like these scare me a lot!

P.S. The only way I can conceive of having scary creatures like warewolves on Earth is through genetic engineering. As you know, genetics have gone pretty far by now. But I don't think anything like that will happen during this generation so we have nothing to worry about. Even if they're able to create scary creatures through gene manipulation, I don't think they want to create something that will put the human race in danger ... unless some really evil people get their hands on genetic experimentation! LOL ;D

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Has anybody seen "Hostel" ? I've heard it's some terribly gory and shocking horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom