Horrible zoo tank

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I was up at my grandparents and we went to the washington park zoo. They had a fish tank there and it was terrible. It looked like about a 55 or 75, it had 2 common plecos (The ones that get 2 ft.), they had something like, 3 glowlight tetrs, 4 glo skirt tetras, 1 red tiger barb, and a long finned glow skirt tetra(With torn fins, most likely from the barb they had) . I mean literally everything was wrong with this tank, and aren't zoos supposed to be against genetically modifying animals. But I just thought that was funny and I would share that.

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wonder if those were fish they took in from someone rather than fish that were bought specifically to be display animals at the zoo. I know zoos don't typically take in animals from the public, but it could have been like, someome an employee knew or something like that. Or maybe an employee decided that their terrible tank would make a great display at the zoo??

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most often zoos don't purchase fish like that. So I'd imagine they took them in for someone and the fish probably aren't suitable for any of their tanks or maybe they're quarantining them. Hard to say for sure, I wouldn't judge without knowing the whole story tho :)

OP
SouthAmericanCichlids

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah, they did have a slideshow thing next to it that said "Don't release your fish into the wild", so maybe.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Yeah, they did have a slideshow thing next to it that said "Don't release your fish into the wild", so maybe.
Could mean they were found in a local pond or something.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Nah, we were up in Indiana, way too cold in the winter.
Do you know how long they've been there? I'm in Ohio so based on temp we're about the same, if they were dumped this spring-summer it could have been very possible they were found in a local area. People are crappy. I remember when I worked at a pet store someone literally put their turtles in a trash can because they were done with them and didn't want to deal with them anymore.

OP
SouthAmericanCichlids

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't know, just went there a couple days ago. I've only ever been there once, but that was before I was even in the hobby.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First of all, that zoo is not a AZA member and a lot of zoos in North America outside that organisation are not regulated, going so far, that often you can technically call two cages and a cattle compound with a zebra a zoo and take money from visitors.

You might have wanted to read the slides, though. Here zoos often have one tank with literal trash like plastic bottles etc. to show how pollution impacts the ecosystems. I myself looked after tanks in an info center of a nature reserve where we kept one tank with native species and one with exotic pet species like paradise fish and goldfish. I would not be surprised if the tank you saw was an example with purpose. Which would be to the zoos credit, actually.

New Threads