Horrible Petco

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, this is a rant... sorry.

I have posted the last couple days that the few fish I recently bought now have ICH and are dropping like flies... it's really depressing. I have raised the temperature, but out of desperation I went to the store. I feel so helpless so I thought if I could find some medicine I would be willing to deal with daily water changes if it messed up my cycle, I just don't want all my fish to die! Anyways... went into Petco, stood in the aisle looking at the medication and a girl comes by to ask if I need help.

I tell her my fish have ICH and she says she doesn't know fish but she'd find someone who did. Ok, fine. So she comes back without anyone else. She says her manager has fish and what she said was... and I quote, "ICH can't be treated so don't bother. Let it alone, if some survive you're lucky."

THAT'S HELP???

The girl (couldn't have been older than 17) looked at me sadly and said, "Do you want me to ask someone else?" To which of course I said, "Well, do you have anyone else who has fish and cares if they die?" A little rude I know but I was really ticked.

She then led me to a guy working in the reptile section. He looked at me sympathetically but it was clear he had no clue. He handed me copper safe. So I asked, "Won't this hurt the shrimp in my tank?" His response, "Uhh, I dunno."

Just then some guy who was shopping in the store decided to chime in, "What's wrong with your fish?" Hoping this guy would know more, I told him I had ICH in the tank. He then asked "How long has your tank been established?" I told him since the beginning of March, and his response was, "OH! Your tank isn't cycled yet, so your fish are dying from ammonia poisoning!!"

He almost sounded giddy that he figured it out. To which I informed him that I had done a fishless cycle. He then told me that was IMPOSSIBLE because you can't cycle without a fish. And his fix to my not being cycled?? Stop doing water changes. That will stop the ICH and cycle the tank...

I was so done talking to him. And the people at Petco. I left without anything. Such a waste of time and energy. Oh, and on my way out I took a peek at their mollies... all of them had white fuzz growing on them. Jeeez.

Sam Livingston

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. It's not ammonia poisoning and your tank is well cycled by now. Ich is hard in some cases to prevent, especially when buying new fish. All it takes is one fish to get it and then the ich spreads like wildfire. On one of my first tanks way back when, one of my platies got ich and it ended up killing 10 of the 12 fish in there.

Having said that ich is very treatable, you basically have a 3 day window. I see you have been raising temperatures which is great at killing ich, but it can also cause more stress to the fish. Once ich burrows onto a fish, it has 3 days until it dies. The ich once burrowed is protected by a shell that cannot be killed by medicine or temperature changes. Ich medicine will however kill the free flowing ich not yet attached to a fish.

As for your shrimp or any other creature you may have which does not do well with medicine, the best option is to remove them into separate tank until the ich is gone. Medicine is the best option and within 3 days the ich will be gone. Just got to hope for best for the ones who already have ich burrowed into them.

Only advice I can offer beyond this, is always keep a quarantine tank if possible and seclude fish as soon as you see their health is dropping. Or else it will spread. I'm sorry to hear this, and wish youre little guys the best. P.S. Petco, Petsmart, etc. are all garbage, best to try to find local run fish store whom care about fishies and their customers. Best of wishes.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
on the topic of fish doomed by petco, I was there yesterday just looking around and I saw a guy go "those are cool, Id like two of them. are they agressive?" Pointing at the green terrors, the fish lady said Im not sure, it doesn't say.. So I chimed in, yes, they are! He said "how big do they get?" I motioned about 7-8" And he said "oh, well I have some of those yellow cichlids and two angels, they're aggressive too, so Im sure they'll be fine." He seemed quite determined, the "fish lady" said nothing and bagged them up. He wanted to have the pretty green fish, wouldnt believe me that they're mean. Sucks for the angels who are probably dead by now.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
on the topic of fish doomed by petco, I was there yesterday just looking around and I saw a guy go "those are cool, Id like two of them. are they agressive?" Pointing at the green terrors, the fish lady said Im not sure, it doesn't say.. So I chimed in, yes, they are! He said "how big do they get?" I motioned about 7-8" And he said "oh, well I have some of those yellow cichlids and two angels, they're aggressive too, so Im sure they'll be fine." He seemed quite determined, the "fish lady" said nothing and bagged them up. He wanted to have the pretty green fish, wouldnt believe me that they're mean. Sucks for the angels who are probably dead by now.
That's really sad. :-( I'm going to avoid shopping there if at all possible from now on. I'd rather pay a few bucks more at an independent LFS than see and deal with all the problems there.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yikes! ignorant employees, and misinformed customers....such a great combo! hopefully you have another place that sells fish, so maybe you can get some helpful, accurate information! i hope your fish are ok.......

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yikes! ignorant employees, and misinformed customers....such a great combo! hopefully you have another place that sells fish, so maybe you can get some helpful, accurate information! i hope your fish are ok.......
Yes, I do. Only problem is they are an hour away, so I'll just have to plan my shopping very well to get as much stuff as I can with one trip. But it's worth it to not support this.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
San Diego, California a hour away is what Ten blocks? JK. your right about planning your LFS trips to make the most out of them.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
San Diego, California a hour away is what Ten blocks? JK. your right about planning your LFS trips to make the most out of them.
Sometimes it seems that way!! The LFS I like the best is near our Sports Arena, I'll be that will give you an idea of the traffic in the area! Hey, at least we're not LA.... yet.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's really sad. :-( I'm going to avoid shopping there if at all possible from now on. I'd rather pay a few bucks more at an independent LFS than see and deal with all the problems there.
People like you are helping "the little guy" stay in business!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom