Horrible as-seen-on-TV fish tank

1. sbdzx Member Member

I saw this ad today on TV. It's kind of scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecQmDiZFzQ8

Now, I'm a newbie to aquarium keeping, but this product appears seriously flawed. I mean there's no space for swimming, not enough water for stable water parameters, nowhere near adequate biological filtration, no continuous aeration, and who even knows if the "gravity technology" even works!

2. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

It works -- like a toilet ;)

3. celizabethh3 Member Member

And it's big enough for goldfish right?

I don't even know what to say about that ad. It's probably the worst one I've seen yet. :/

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Crissandra331 Member Member

Haha right, but even i wouldnt wanna swim in toilet water after its flushed ;)
    Point proven lol

5. Watermark Member Member

The best thing that I can say about this is that at least the designer acknowledges that a betta bowl needs to be cleaned. As opposed to the betta in a vase with a hydroponically planted peace lily that promotes being a lazy fish parent...no air, no food, no clean. I regret to say that I bought into that 30 years ago ;:barf

6. Sayba Well Known Member Member

I've seen this before on youtube, thankfully it had negative comments there too.

Just another cruel product I could see parents flocking to the shops to buy so they can try to teach their kids responsibility :/ When will it end?!

This is worse then that USB desktop "aquarium", at least that had a filter.

7. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I saw one of these on Amazon, it was a little more stylish, but no bigger. I really think there should be a law against advertising and marketing product for fish that are not humane.

8. Watermark Member Member

You-know-who-co and the Dumb store would go out of business

9. natpodu77 Initiate Member

I hate when people take advantage of uneducated by selling products that are so blatantly wrong for the fish. Heck I wouldn't even put snails in that! For example;

I hate going to a chain pet store and listening to the dumb "trained" staff tell someone a 10 gallon (or smaller) tank is "perfect" for their goldfish, oh and get an "algae" eating pleco to control the algae in the tank!!!!

1. Goldfish are dirty need a tank at least 50 gallons
    2. Plecos are mainly OMNIVORES and will eat anything over algae.
    3. Plecos will suck on goldfish because they love their slime coat, causing stressed to goldfish and sores=eventual death.

Want algae eaters, get nerite snails, or shrimp....plecos are not it.

Or the classic lucky bamboo plant, put it with your betta-its a perfect match!

Betta love small containers, they were made for them...what ! I have had many bettas in my 29 and now 55 gallon tank, they will almost always get along with my other tank fish, and if they don't he gets his own 5 gallon tank complete with snail cleanup and aquatic plants and a filter-yes they need a filter, and I love the Azoo cause it is easy on their fins with intake suction and controllable output.

Okay, I am done venting about chain pet store stupidity and ignorance, and in many cases lies to get the sale....wait maybe I am not done-lol

10. sbdzx Member Member

I know! People like PETA make a big hullabulloo about abused dogs and cats, but they should also look at other pets--which are really animals kept for human enjoyment--like fish. These fish are at humans' mercy, and just like cruelty laws for dogs and cats, there should be certain standards for fish.

11. CLam Well Known Member Member

To be fair, PETA does look at other pets, including fish, and actually, regards as many animals under human power as comes to their attention. I remember reading up on the iPond through PETA.

On topic though, there's really no saying whether this product even works as advertised, so it's screwed before you even consider the fish's other needs besides "clean" water. Infomercials are a lot of talk and little walk, and off-record have even admitted straight up that so-and-so product doesn't do a thing, much less serve any unique utility.

I kind of feel nervous posting on the hot topics forum for the first time—this is all the icky stuff that I can't face while still remaining functional.

12. Dang Well Known Member Member

what bothers me the most is the narrator says it's "perfect" for your fish pet which is a complete lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'd like one for my pet marimo :)

14. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

The product does do what it says it does. I know. I have multiple betta jars in my breeding barracks with homemade siphons.

Then again the surface area of my "jars" is larger than that of a milk jug at present, so I feel better about keeping fish in them temporarily lol. And I'm upgrading to self-siphoning sterilite tubs soon instead anyway :)

15. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

16. bowen747x Member Member

if you pause the video at 12-13 seconds you can see the "debris" flowing through the hose but that is fake and added probably with computer graphics... I saw a different video by somebody who actually bought this thing (and yes they were saying positive things about it) but the other video showed a of a lot less debris flowing through and it was way slower, in this video the debris flows through in a second flat and looks so fake compared to the other video I saw

17. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I will post one while I'm building my barracks

18. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

:( I feel bad for anyone who puts a fish in this. Has anyone else seen teddy tanks? Those are just as bad. I picture them being shaken around by little kids.

19. sbdzx Member Member

I just looked at the teddy tanks on the internet -- Who would do that?!?!? That's just wrong.

20. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I know, right!
    It is very cruel to the fish:(
    I'd you look at the reviews many people say they will not buy them and that they are very cruel though:)