Hornwort shedding itself bare

LanceDog

I really want to give hornwort a chance but it sheds terribly in the 2 tanks I have it in and idk what to do with it aside from pitch it??? I got a large batch from someone locally and it looked great. Did an alum dip to get rid of snails and added it to a 20 gal and a 10 gal. In the 20 it has shed so much that in some areas it has no needles. They are now floating or on the floor of the tank. In the 20 I have java moss, java fern, anubias, moss balls and hitchhiking duckweed ( not much duckweed, but I do want it since my experience with plants so far has not been fantastic). The occupant is a temporary betta. It generally gets 8 hrs of low light, Thrive and CO2 Booster. I want to have healthy hornwort for my shrimp I will be getting soon as my existing shrimp love it but I can't justify the trouble I am having.

Additionally an older batch from an lfs in my 10 is just doing 'okay' and has thin spots and is a magnet for cyanobacteria. It doesn't shed as much but stems do break off. The anubias and frogbit in that tank is fine. Just the hornwort is not.

Attachments

• 20200214_053016.jpg
    20200214_053016.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200214_053019.jpg
    20200214_053019.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 63

MissNoodle

Hornwort sheds awfully when first added to a tank but should ease up over time

86 ssinit

Hornwort also need good lighting. What type of lighting are you using?

TWiG87

As missnoodle said, it can melt pretty badly when first added. How long has it been in the tank(s)?

ProudPapa

I have some doing the same thing.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
UnknownUser
Replies
Views
Kkelly09
  • Question
Replies