Hornwort not floating

BigB322

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
8
Experience
1 year
Hello,

My hornwort won't float on the top of the tank it mostly sinks and one longer piece is half floating. Is there a specific reason for this? I have tried clipping it but both clippings end up sinking to the bottom even if it half floated.
 
Best Answer - View BigB322's answer

emilyyyyy

Active Member
Member
Messages
241
Reaction score
124
Experience
2 years
Could you attach a picture of it?

Edit: It could just be denser pieces weighing it down, if you really want it floating you could just cut them off. It's a fast growing plant so it will grow back in no time, and hopefully in your case not as densely.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
BigB322

BigB322

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
8
Experience
1 year
emilyyyyy said:
Could you attach a picture of it?

Edit: It could just be denser pieces weighing it down, if you really want it floating you could just cut them off. It's a fast growing plant so it will grow back in no time, and hopefully in your case not as densely.
Part of the smaller thinner plant gets stuck in the filter intake because for some reason it keeps floating over there it floats the way it is sitting and sometimes it just sits on the bottom of my tank.
15941691681123283922019778491437.jpg
15941691797992303512432448502168.jpg
15941691681123283922019778491437.jpg
15941691797992303512432448502168.jpg
15941691681123283922019778491437.jpg
15941691797992303512432448502168.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
BigB322

BigB322

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
8
Experience
1 year
emilyyyyy said:
Could you attach a picture of it?

Edit: It could just be denser pieces weighing it down, if you really want it floating you could just cut them off. It's a fast growing plant so it will grow back in no time, and hopefully in your case not as densely.
It doesn't matter if I clip it or not if I do both ends sink to the bottom of the tank.
 

emilyyyyy

Active Member
Member
Messages
241
Reaction score
124
Experience
2 years
BigB322 said:
Part of the smaller thinner plant gets stuck in the filter intake because for some reason it keeps floating over there it floats the way it is sitting and sometimes it just sits on the bottom of my tank.
15941691681123283922019778491437.jpg
15941691797992303512432448502168.jpg
15941691681123283922019778491437.jpg
15941691797992303512432448502168.jpg
15941691681123283922019778491437.jpg
15941691797992303512432448502168.jpg
If you have a moderate to high flow, the water will just push around the plant until it inevitably ends up running into or being pulled into the filter intake.
 

johnbetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,589
Reaction score
626
Location
australia
Experience
More than 10 years
your better off tieing it down or it will get smashed around the end up in the intake and will clog it up
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
BigB322

BigB322

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
8
Experience
1 year
emilyyyyy said:
If you have a moderate to high flow, the water will just push around the plant until it inevitably ends up running into or being pulled into the filter intake.
It's actually a very low flow I have several floating plants and only the hornwort that half sinks has any issues. It doesn't float at the top properly at all even when it isn't near the filter.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
BigB322

BigB322

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
8
Experience
1 year
johnbetta said:
are u sure its the true hornwart
What do you mean? Is there fake hornwort?
 

jake37

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,580
Reaction score
2,404
Location
Under the Rainbow
Experience
Just started
Perhaps it is not proper for it to just float; as i noted in my tank bits of most floating plants will sink. The exception are the true floatrs like frogbits, water letuce, that pest duck weed.

I think the problems are more with your expectation than the plant.

BigB322 said:
It's actually a very low flow I have several floating plants and only the hornwort that half sinks has any issues. It doesn't float at the top properly at all even when it isn't near the filter.
 

RedGallant

Active Member
Member
Messages
150
Reaction score
69
Location
SW UT
Experience
4 years
Are the individual stems tangled, because it looks like the stems are going in all different directions so it may be weighing it down.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
BigB322

BigB322

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
8
Experience
1 year
RedGallant said:
Are the individual stems tangled, because it looks like the stems are going in all different directions so it may be weighing it down.
No they are all separated and free from each other/objects. I even moved the one from my filter intake and it sank
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
BigB322

BigB322

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
8
Experience
1 year
jake37 said:
Perhaps it is not proper for it to just float; as i noted in my tank bits of most floating plants will sink. The exception are the true floatrs like frogbits, water letuce, that pest duck weed.

I think the problems are more with your expectation than the plant.
How so? I did research and the plant was suggested as a floating plant that grows rapidly. Most of my plant(s) sink to the bottom. If it isn't supposed to float why do they say it is a floating plant?
 

MomeWrath

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,702
Reaction score
2,783
Location
North Carolina
Experience
More than 10 years
"Floating" just means that hornwort doesn't need actual roots in substrate to grow and thrive. Hornwort doesn't float on top of the water. If you want true floating plants, look at red root floaters, dwarf water lettuce, amazon frogbit, and water spangles.
Any amount of water movement will naturally move anything that is not tied down towards your filter intake...that is sort of the whole purpose of the filter. You can pin the hornwort under a rock or wrap it around a branch to keep it anchored.
 

RedGallant

Active Member
Member
Messages
150
Reaction score
69
Location
SW UT
Experience
4 years
BigB322 said:
No they are all separated and free from each other/objects. I even moved the one from my filter intake and it sank
Strange, I've always heard of Hornwort as growing better floating.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
BigB322

BigB322

Active Member
Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
8
Experience
1 year
RedGallant said:
Strange, I've always heard of Hornwort as growing better floating.
That's what I thought to, but most of the stems sink to the bottom of my tank it's aggravating.
 

jake37

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,580
Reaction score
2,404
Location
Under the Rainbow
Experience
Just started
In my tank it is a mix bag - certainly the new growth is more likely to float but some of it doesn't. I asked it one day why this was the case but it refused to answer my question(s).
 

RedGallant

Active Member
Member
Messages
150
Reaction score
69
Location
SW UT
Experience
4 years
Maybe the hornwort becomes less buoyant as it ages and weighs more because of the extra growth.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
191
Guests online
2,652
Total visitors
2,843

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom