Hornwort Maintenance And Planting Ideas

Faytaya

Reactions
Experience
Just started
HI all:
Anyone who has followed me will testify I have hornwort in my tank. It grows like crazy and I generally wind up clipping it weekly. (It gets like, 2 inches every week!) I pinch it with my fingernails and have been planting it directly into the gravel. Does anyone have some ideas for simplifying my weekly maintenance regimen? Is there a better way to plant the hornwort, or is free floating better?

fjh

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
I also clip my hornwort with my fingernails about once a month. Any plant that is under the gravel will eventually die and rot, letting the remaining plant float back to the surface. I usually take my longest strings of it and loop it around driftwood or rocks. This way it stays further down without rotting and you can see the plant reaching up to the surface as it grows. Any short pieces I have I just let float around until they get bigger.

OP
Faytaya

Faytaya

Reactions
Experience
Just started
fjh said:
I also clip my hornwort with my fingernails about once a month. Any plant that is under the gravel will eventually die and rot, letting the remaining plant float back to the surface. I usually take my longest strings of it and loop it around driftwood or rocks. This way it stays further down without rotting and you can see the plant reaching up to the surface as it grows. Any short pieces I have I just let float around until they get bigger.
Yeah rot happens with mine too. I might go with using rubber bands and rocks

fjh

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Faytaya said:
Yeah rot happens with mine too. I might go with using rubber bands and rocks
Careful with rubber bands as well... the plant will break and rot where the rubber band is holding it down unless yo do it VERY loosely.

!poogs!

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Feel your pain. I loop fishing line through biomax, and then loop hornwort through fishing line. The water column is heavily dosed for a variety of plants, grows 12 inches a week. Just keep snipping the bottom and put back in.

TheFishmonger

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
My hornwort shreds a lot. It came as dark brown-green, but I have nippy Black Ruby Barbs and that is not helping. I noticed the leaves turned greener. Maybe the BRB's are helping clean it up.

New Threads