Hornwort leaves everywhere

Olivia Janae
So I just got some hornwort from an Ebay seller and holy leaves batman! They are everywhere. My tank looks like a snow globe. I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake in adding it? Will this get better once it recovers from shipping?
I have it tied to an anchor about halfway up my tank so it floats toward the top

SotaAquatics
I personally have never had luck with hornwort, sheds needles like crazy all over the tank, can cause problems with my guppies if they try to eat one. I have heard that even if its doing well and proper in your tank, it can still just decide one day that it wants to drop all its leaves. Probably my least favorite aquarium plant tbh... hopefully yours settles down and starts behaving for you, shipping and new systems almost always take an adjustment period for any plant where you will have some melting.

flopperfrog
Olivia Janae said:
So I just got some hornwort from an Ebay seller and holy leaves batman! They are everywhere. My tank looks like a snow globe. I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake in adding it? Will this get better once it recovers from shipping?
I have it tied to an anchor about halfway up my tank so it floats toward the top
in my experience mine melted completely and is just now growing back, and it took a while to clean up all the little leaves, hope the same doesnt happen for you 0_0

Olivia Janae
Oh boy, so it sounds like maybe this wasn't a smart choice

SotaAquatics
Some people have good luck with it after its adjustment period, its supposed to be a relatively easy plant and good grower. Also great for fry. The needles 'should' stop dropping once the plant gets used to your tank, mine never seemed to get used to my setup and I ended up removing it. Really the best you can do is experiment. I find that probably 2 out of every 3 plants I try just don't take to my set up.. a little disappointing but the 1 in 3 usually do very good and I have to trim out tons of it every week.

LurkingontheReg
I absolutely loved the look of Hornwort for my shrimp tank, but it just never stopped dropping needles. Eventually I got so annoyed I broke the whole tank down and redid it.

Still love the look, but will never buy it again. I wouldn't take it if it was free.

Latest threads

Top Bottom