Hornwort is one of the most under-rated plants IMO

devsi

I think it looks amazing as a floating plant!

You must be registered to see images

A201

As long as one can keep "Coontail" healthy it's beautiful. Once it starts to slide, Hornwort profusely sheds its pointy leaves causing a very messy situation.
I've been there, lol. Of course aqua gardening doesn't come easy for me.

devsi

As long as one can keep "Coontail" healthy it's beautiful.
I see you referenced "Coontail" and "Hornwort" - are they different things? I've never heard of Coontail before and a quick Google says it's a different name for Hornwort, is that right?
Once it starts to slide, Hornwort profusely sheds its pointy leaves causing a very messy situation.
By "slide", do you mean once it starts getting unhealthy or slide as in going underwater (like mine is)?

Any tips on what to look out for if it's the former :) ?
I've been there, lol. Of course aqua gardening doesn't come easy for me.

I'm about at aqua gardening as I am normal gardening; terrible. Absolutely terrible.

A201

Yeah, Coontail is a common name for Hornwort.
Keep a bright light on it & things should be fine.
It's difficult to keep food particles & debris out of the Hornwort. Efforts need to be made to avoid that problem.
If you start to see dark patches on the Hornwort, trim it away. The stuff falls apart & scatters very quickly.

devsi

Yeah, Coontail is a common name for Hornwort.
TIL! Thanks!
Keep a bright light on it & things should be fine.
Oh yeah, it has a bright light! It's one of the reasons I wanted a decent floating plant, to darken down the tank a bit.
It's difficult to keep food particles & debris out of the Hornwort. Efforts need to be made to avoid that problem.
Food particles/debris are bad if it gets caught? So dropping food directly into the hornwort is a bad idea (whoops)?
If you start to see dark patches on the Hornwort, trim it away. The stuff falls apart & scatters very quickly.
Got it! Thank you :)

ProudPapa

It's supposed to be one of the best plants at removing nitrates, but the initial acclimation can be a trial. I've had it drop almost all its needles within 3 days of being introduced to a new tank

devsi

It's supposed to be one of the best plants at removing nitrates, but the initial acclimation can be a trial. I've had it drop almost all its needles within 3 days of being introduced to a new tank

Well, I'm in for a world of fun then - this is all new from the weekend :)

SotaAquatics

I hate hornwort for the above mentioned potential for needle dropping. Refuse to use it anymore after I have had a few fully shed on me.

Basil

The first time I tried it, it melted and made such a mess!
But I decided to try it again and now it’s doing well. I also have mine floating.

ProudPapa

The first time I tried it, it melted and made such a mess!
But I decided to try it again and now it’s doing well. I also have mine floating.

Same here.

Well, I'm in for a world of fun then - this is all new from the weekend :)

It doesn't always melt back that bad. Maybe you'll be lucky.

By the way, I've had similar experiences with anarcharis. Sometimes it acclimates easily; other times not so much.

devsi

Honestly, I didn't even realise you had to acclimate plants! Especially not hardy ones like hornwort - but maybe that's why I've not had great success with plants :D.

I normally just shove them straight into the substrate and hope for the best (adding Seachem fertiliser twice a week)

jmaldo

Have had success with it in the past..

You must be registered to see images

Lately not so much. As mentioned most times will drop some needles when first added to a tank. Just got some from Mcasella and of course dropped some some needles. Time will tell...

BradleyH2O

Nice looking tank. I’ve been thinking about some Hornwort for my community tank. OP, what lighting system are you using?

devsi

Nice looking tank. I’ve been thinking about some Hornwort for my community tank. OP, what lighting system are you using?

Thanks :) I currently have it in my three community tanks, I just put the bulk of it in the one pictured in this thread.

The lighting system is just the standard LED light on the Juwel RIO 180 - JUWEL Aquarium | Rio 180 LED | purchase online

BradleyH2O

Thanks :) I currently have it in my three community tanks, I just put the bulk of it in the one pictured in this thread.

The lighting system is just the standard LED light on the Juwel RIO 180 - JUWEL Aquarium | Rio 180 LED | purchase online
Neat-O. I’ve never seen these before, but they look pretty classy. Wonder if they’re available in the States?

devsi

Neat-O. I’ve never seen these before, but they look pretty classy. Wonder if they’re available in the States?

Never seen what before, sorry? Juwel tanks?

If so, yeah, they are a really well built/put together German make. We now have 3 Juwel tanks haha.

BradleyH2O

Never seen what before, sorry? Juwel tanks?

If so, yeah, they are a really well built/put together German make. We now have 3 Juwel tanks haha.
Yes sorry, I meant Juwel tanks. Nice that you have 3. I’m salivating over the 450L lol

devsi

Yes sorry, I meant Juwel tanks. Nice that you have 3. I’m salivating over the 450L lol

Yeah, don't start that conversation with me! I have had my eyes on the 450 for a while with plans to turn it into a Cichlid tank.

I'll do it one day :)

Blacksheep1

I have the same 180 and the smaller 70. I’ve literally had nothing but jewels mostly and I’ve never been disappointed. The trigon 360 is a nice tank if you have the corner space !

LightBrownPillow

I've enjoyed hornwort for my walstad tank, but it always seems a toss up on if it will grow thick & bushy or thin and stringy. Admittedly I don't do any ferts, probably should, but it always seems to grow well regardless.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SuperSword48
  • Question
Replies
Views
RedGallant
Replies
Views
napa15rt