hornwort and java moss turning brown

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Hi, I have floating hornwort and java moss that is turning brown:;dk What am I doing wrong?

Its in the 72 gal tank, water params 0, 0, 10, temp is 79. Should I take out the part that is turning brown?:;dk

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

The 72 gallon is a pretty tall tank. I'm guessing that if you're running stock lighting, you may not have enough light for your plants.

3. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I am using stock light, I thought it might be too much as the plants are right at the top directly under the lights.

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Stock lighting is what, one 4 foot bulb? If so, I think it's 40W... not much light at all for a 72 gallon. Still, it's surprising that your floating plants aren't doing well. Then again, I've never had any luck with hornwort myself and have since sworn off of it because of the mess it makes when it's unhappy. :p

5. meg1220 Member Member

Is it the older parts turning brown? If so, it might just be some die-back of the older growth. You could try cutting it off and see if the green pieces keep growing. Hornwort and java moss shouldn't need much light.