Horned Nerite Snails Not Moving A Lot

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Siggygym, Apr 26, 2017.

1. SiggygymValued MemberMember

Hi there, I bought a couple of horned nerite snails to help keep the diatoms at bay however they've literally just moved about an inch from where I left them yesterday.., is that normal? I'm worried they might not happy. Here's a pic of them..
    de8b9c1dbe8e73b2bf9415da3e2abb43.jpg

2. Neptune334Valued MemberMember

I got a zebra nerite two days ago. He didn't move for the the first 24 hours, but decided to start climbing around on the glass this morning. I'm sure that they are fine and just adjusting to their new home.

3. SiggygymValued MemberMember

I hope so... how do you know if they have enough to eat? I was wondering wether i need to throw them something extra?

4. CHomanValued MemberMember

What size is your tank? I have a 10 gallon and got 1 zebra and 1 tiger and they cleared my very dirty tank within 2 days. They seem to always find something, but I also have a heavily planted tank. I'll see them on leaves too...even the zebra, who is huge. I love them though, they are working hard. I did read that it is very normal for them to be quiet for a day or 2 at a time, especially when introducing them to a tank. I'd give it another day and see. They sell algae wafers too, if you're afraid they aren't getting enough.

5. SiggygymValued MemberMember

They're in a 24l tank with my betta and 6 neons, but I will be transferring them all into my new 60l tank once it's cycled. I have some live plants too but they have been so damaged by the diatoms that they aren't very appetising looking! Lol I'll give them another day to acclimatise and see how they get on... might get some wafers just in case ;)

6. endiglowgurlNew MemberMember

My old mystery snail is pretty quiet. It didn't move hardly at all the first week after I got it. My blue mystery is quiet active and jetting all over the tank constantly and has become huge! I don't have to add anything more to my tank to feed him and hes been just fine. My gold mystery however, still doesn't move around a lot but still seems to be just fine. Give it time and they should start moving around and cleaning up your tank! :)

That should say gold, not old! Hahaha!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017
  7. KimCNew MemberMember

I just got a nerite snail 2 days ago and I thought it had died or something bc I had no clue where it went and had to do a full water change because 4 of my fish died and the ammonia was insanely high when I spent the money to get the "good" water testers (Don't get the one that hangs in the tank and changes color with the ammonia bc that only said it was low) I was so upset! But anyway I was just about certain the snail hid and died. Today, I was about to start looking around to get the dead snail out and found it on a plant. Now it's on the other side of the tank so I guess that's something nerite snails do when they are new to a tank. The are putting their "feelers" out first. Lol.

Hopefully you will see yours moving in a day or 2.

I do not know if I should be giving the snail food either but would love to gain some knowledge on that! I can tell you though, I got the waters for bottom feeders and there wasn't a single bottom feeder that are it. The fish were eating it and then it made a complete mess when it all fell apart.

Hope you get the answers you were looking for!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017
  8. SiggygymValued MemberMember

Thank you everyone! I feel a little more reassured now I'll give them a few days then :)

9. greenlady51New MemberMember

I have two in my 10 gal when first put in the grey mystery snail immediately took to cleaning the glass but the tiger nerite snail disappeared for about two weeks, I thought he had climbed pm out but I think he came out at night, then he started appearing more he is all over now- my neighbor has 5 mystery snails and they don't move much either- not sure what her water test are but to me her stock is not good which may play apart in why her snails aren't moving

10. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

Did you make sure your Hardness is around 150-200ppm before adding the snails?

If your PH is too low or your water too soft they can't absorb calcium and the shell will eventually erode.

11. SiggygymValued MemberMember

The hardness of the water is really high, I think it was around 250-500 when I last tested it, also ph is 8.2 so they should be fine right? They are moving about now btw so I guess they needed to acclimatise :)

12. Samuel97Well Known MemberMember

Good to hear they are moving, it's very common for them to do this when acclimatising as above.

My nerites even tho they have been in the tank a while will even decide to do this every now and again for a day or two. It's totally normal and nothing to worry about, just leave them to their nap.

They will eat a great many things from detritus to algae, but will always feed of something called biofilm which will build up on pretty much every surface on the tank, hence why you see them up and down your glass munching away.

This biofilm is pretty constant, it's like hoovering in a sandstorm, but with only two hoovers for a 10g tank. They will do just fine but if you ever worry, mine love the odd algae wafer that my shrimp and Pygmy Cory get so that is a good substitute.

13. JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

My black racer nerite has been next to inactive for over a week now. Saturday we had to do an emergency water change, recondition all the water, and add SafeStart 24 hours later. Going into the new clean water (which is measuring about 180 maybe above on GH) he moved maybe three or four inches. Keep finding him upside down too. He also shows no interest in algae wafers. He's been sitting in the same place pretty much since Saturday (maybe moved an inch). It's now Wednesday. He's also weird shaped when he comes out now. Not like he used to look. Also have a mystery snail that seems to be doing great. Don't want it to follow suit to my nerite. What's going on? What can I do?

14. JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

Nerite seems to be perking up. He's latched onto one of the artificial plants and seems stronger now. How often do they go so inactive? He had me worried for over a week.

Attached Files:

15. Neptune334Valued MemberMember

I don't know how long these dormant periods last, but Triton the nerite has been going through one for the last week. I saw movements, but he would only move an inch from where he was every day.

16. JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

That's what mine is doing. Thought he was doing better when I posted the picture. Now this morning I found him upside down again.

17. AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

I have a total of 9 nerites, 7 are in my 38 gallon, right now 2 are in a 5 gallon, but one is "on loan" from the other 5 gallon since I'm using meds in there right now.

I have 3 horned nerites, and they are the hardest workers! Always moving and cleaning. Also the smallest, 2 are about the size of pond snails. They are almost never still.
    I have 2 tigers, I've lost a couple more. They are pretty active now, but when first added they were really lazy for a couple weeks. The one in my 38 gets into my driftwood and hides for days! He blends right in.
    My black racer is pretty active when I'm not looking. He moves around (took a few days to settle in) but I rarely see his mouth munching.
    I have 3 that I'm not really sure what pattern they are, but they almost never do any work. They really like to hang out above the water line, sometimes with the tiger as well. 2 have been there all week. They are all in my big tank, and the horned guys are never above the water line, and my water tests are good, with nitrate about 20-30 due to heavy planting.
    Two of my horned guys in piggy back
    7fc917abc2f7a3d91d913199830f783b.jpg
    The 2 smaller horned guys, black racer, and the other weird lazy guys. If you know their pattern please let me know!
    cc79c4af9928be3f6befc96e69c5a208.jpg
    Horned guy with a mystery (have 4)
    353729225fc123a4fb89857a081adb90.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice