Horned Nerite Snail Babies

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Grimmewillow, Jun 26, 2019.

1. GrimmewillowNew MemberMember

To all people who wonder if their horned nerite snails are having babies in freshwater the answer could be yes. Mine have been only in freshwater.Not only are they breeding, the young are thriving. I was told that they could not breed in freshwater. I guess mine did not get the memo.

2. AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

Any pictures??? Horned Nerites are really cute, I can't imagine how cute the babies are!! :)

3. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

I’d also love to see photos to rule out any hitchhiker snails. Eggs happen in freshwater but supposedly will not hatch to produce young. That being said, nature surprises us everyday!!

4. GrimmewillowNew MemberMember

I will try to get you some today

5. GrimmewillowNew MemberMember

I'm new to your forum so I'm not sure if you got my message yesterday about the baby snails not being horned nerite but being limpet nerite babies. I'm not sure how they got there. I have four horned nerite only! I have no other snails in my group at all. I've had these snails for quite a while now. So I'm puzzled. The babies are friendly and cute so they can stay. I tried to take a photo but they're so small it looks like a blur. My snails don't seem to mind each other. Any suggestions on how they might have gotten in my tank will be greatly appreciated . Sorry for the confusion.

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Did you buy any plants? Or decor (rocks/etc.) that was in a fish tank at the store?

7. GrimmewillowNew MemberMember

I ordered a plant online. One of my snails laid eggs and that is why I thought these were horned Nerite babies. I guess the timing was perfect. So do you think these little ones were in the plant that I bought? I bought plants before .

8. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

I’m 100% certain they came in on your plants. Probably either bladder or ramshorn snails :/

9. GrimmewillowNew MemberMember

I know they're not Ram's horns. And I'm pretty sure that they are not bladder snails. They look exactly like the limpet nareit babies. They had to come from the plant ,that's the only explanation I have. A few are starting to show their shell colors. I have to say they're kind of cute.

10. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Him I don’t even know what a limpet nerite is. There are freshwater limpets though (not a snail, more of a mollusk) I get them too. Anyway, as long as you like them:)
    We’d love to see any photos you can get.