Horned Nerite and Mystery Snail

DragonNeko

I have a few questions about my new snails. I recently bought 4 horned nerite snails and 1 mystery snail. I've read about them, but I'd like some advice from the knowledgeable people here

1. What can I feed them? I have some brown algae in the tank, but they've eaten most of it already. I'd like to give them a variety of food. The Mystery Snail seems to like the sinking pellet food I give my JuliI Cory's.

2. How often should they be fed, and how much?

3. I heard that my nerite's can't breed in freshwater, and need brackish. I can't make my tank brackish with the Cory's in there, but is it really needed to breed them? Would they try anyway? If they laid some eggs, could I move them to a 1gal or 5gal and make it brackish for them to hatch and grow a bit?

4. Do snails and Cory's get along? My Cory's have been a bit odd since I put the snails in. I think they may be stressed or something. They settle at the bottom, breath faster than usual, and the their scales have some shiny silver patches. I hope it's nothing serious. If I need to separate them, then I can move the snail's to my 10gal.

5. Are Mystery Snails nocturnal? Mine seems most active in the evening, and my roommate's is even less active, and I've only seem it move much later at night. His also barely comes out of it's shell. Could it be sick? or is it just shy and getting used to it's new home?

6. How do you tell the sex of a Mystery Snail? I'll add pictures. It'd be nice to know so I don't give a girl snail a boys name, lol.

All 3 tanks are cycled. My roommate's tank has a lot of brown algae, which is why I bought him a snail too. I figured it would eat it, and be a nice addition to his tank. I'm going to test the water tonight. I'm a few days late changing the water, so I'm doing that tonight too. Been a busy weekend with Thanksgiving and my daughter's 3rd birthday party. I nearly forgot about the water change

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 683
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,930
Last edited:

lugia10159

nice snails! we will wait for some info

jerilovesfrogs

yes the corys are fine with both kinds of snails. I doubt they are really caring about them. though if the mystery is hogging their food (as mine do), they corys could be ticked out that haha.

I feed the corys every day, and just put a little extra piece of wafer in for the snails to pick up.

no I don't think you can move nerite eggs (which they will lay, on different places in the tank). they are too firm and weird. and they do need brackish to hatch.

sexing mystery snails is very hard. if you had two, and one was on top of the other, it'd be easy to tell which was which but you're just gonna have to guess at this point.

some mysteries seem more active at night, some don't. my female sleeps a lot, and my male is always cruising for food lol. if they aren't very active at all, there could be something wrong.....but most likely not. have fun with them, I love watching mine!

aakaakaak

4. Do snails and Cory's get along? My Cory's have been a bit odd since I put the snails in. I think they may be stressed or something. They settle at the bottom, breath faster than usual, and the their scales have some shiny silver patches. I hope it's nothing serious. If I need to separate them, then I can move the snail's to my 10gal.

Is it remotely possible that the snails "polished" his cories while they were sitting still? I know that would stress me a bit.

jerilovesfrogs

Is it remotely possible that the snails "polished" his cories while they were sitting still? I know that would stress me a bit.

i'd say that is highly unlikely. corys would move way too fast for a snail to do anything to them....unless it was sick/hurt/dying to begin with.

iloveengl

I have a few questions about my new snails. I recently bought 4 horned nerite snails and 1 mystery snail. I've read about them, but I'd like some advice from the knowledgeable people here

1. What can I feed them? I have some brown algae in the tank, but they've eaten most of it already. I'd like to give them a variety of food. The Mystery Snail seems to like the sinking pellet food I give my JuliI Cory's.

I feed mine HikarI algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and fresh zucchini. Be certain that none of the fish food (especially wafers) has any form of copper in it.

2. How often should they be fed, and how much?

I feed mine when I feed my fish. I don't like relying on algae, especially since I can't grow it in my tanks.

3. I heard that my nerite's can't breed in freshwater, and need brackish. I can't make my tank brackish with the Cory's in there, but is it really needed to breed them? Would they try anyway? If they laid some eggs, could I move them to a 1gal or 5gal and make it brackish for them to hatch and grow a bit?

Everything that I've read says they'll lay eggs in freshwater, but they won't be fertile. They need to be kept in good brackish conditions before they'll lay fertile eggs, then once the snails hatch, they need transferred to full marine water until they toughen up. Then they can be acclimated back to brackish or fw. I'm hoping to breed mine in the brackish tank after we move.

If your corydoras are stressed, I highly doubt is has anything to do with your snails. They couldn't care less about mine. If anything, the cory's might annoy the snails. I suggest checking water parameters.

5. Are Mystery Snails nocturnal? Mine seems most active in the evening, and my roommate's is even less active, and I've only seem it move much later at night. His also barely comes out of it's shell. Could it be sick? or is it just shy and getting used to it's new home?

Mine are out zooming about the glass and decor at all times of the day and night. They are very pouty when you first add them to a new tank. They're also sensitive to poor water conditions, and they'll clam up if parameters are off. Temperature is another factor that affects their movements. I believe they move slower when the water is cooler (but maybe I have that reversed) because they're used to hibernating in the wild.

6. How do you tell the sex of a Mystery Snail? I'll add pictures. It'd be nice to know so I don't give a girl snail a boys name, lol.

Wait until one of them lays eggs. It's too hard for me to do otherwise.

I love the pics you posted. Such a cutie! I love their little faces. Remind me of dogs for some reason.

Last edited:

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom