Hoping I didn't cause issues

EbiAqua

So in my nano tank I collected a bunch of wild plants mostly in their emersed states. While some transitioned without a hitch, I am having a lot of problems with the majority.

Lots of shedding leaves, nuisance algae, and poor growth. The substrate is ADA Amazonia capped with sand, dosing NilocG Thrive S 3x per week, high intensity lighting for 7 hours a day, and injected CO2. The main algae I see in the tank is staghorn, which is on the older leaves of plants as well as hardscape. I also see quite a lot of green-spot algae on older leaves and green string algae. Even plants that were from mature tanks and have long been in their submersed states are struggling; my dwarf sag has been there for weeks and has not spread at all, but each week it seems one new leaf starts to turn brown and melt. Meanwhile my dwarf lily is thriving and growing bigger every day despite being transplanted from a completely different tank after sitting pretty for 9 months and trimming off almost all the roots and leaves.

I do not feed this tank very often and when I do it is with live foods or small amounts of frozen foods. It gets at least a 50% water change once a week, and is not heavily stocked. However, nuisance algae and poor growth are an issue still. Last night I did a huge water change (300%) to try to vacuum up as many dead leaves and detritus as possible, and have hacked almost all the stem plants to substrate level. Did I potentially ruin the tank by doing this?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies
Views
coolio3991
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies