Hope for Hank

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Soooo...
My dog passed away in August. I took it pretty hard. Still have good days and bad days. Have recently been thinking about maybe getting another. I am the type of person who needs a dog. I just do. I find comfort in them. I looked and researched and decided on a pug. That has been the plan with my GF and I. We have just been looking and waiting for the right pug to come along.

Then Saturday we were going to the gym and a rescue was having an "adoption day". I told my GF I just wanted to look. That's when I saw him. Hank and I looked at each other and I immediately got tears and his whole body wiggled and I just needed him.

Hank is not a pug. Hank is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. He obviously falls under the "pit bull" umbrella. He is 7-8 years old and has had a rough life. He was picked up as a stray only weighing 30 pounds. He is now weighing in at 90.

Two other families put in an application for Hank as well.

I already love Hank enough that I want what is best for him and want him to go with the family that is going to love him beyond measure and where he will absolutely thrive. I do very much hope that is with us.

Hank absolutely deserves the very best and would like to ask for some good positive thoughts/prayers/energy that happens for this sweet boy.

Attachments

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Application has been successfully submitted. We are now in the "hurry up and wait" phase.

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Such a sweet looking boy! I hope that you are chosen to be the lucky owner!

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I hope so too!

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
We are still waiting.
Hurry up and wait is KILLING me.
So I have been passing the time by coming up with some questions of my own to ask. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions/questions to add to my list.

1. What food is Hank currently eating?
2. What are his eating habits?
3. Is he on any type of schedule (feeding/potty/etc)?
4. Any favorite toys/blankets/food/treats?
5. How does he do on walks? On leash? (even though he seemed to have zero problems with leash when I met him)
6. Anything he doesn't like?
7. Where does he prefer to sleep?

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Maybe ask “Does he tend to wake up early in the morning?” My dog keeps waking me up around 5:30-6:30 because due to work sometimes my dad has to get up early and our dog doesn’t want to fall asleep back asleep , he’s a puppy and it’s not like a permanent thing (he’s started realizing We won’t get up) but just be prepared to be to tell him “No” if he tries to do something like that at the beginning

Tez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BNBetta said:
Thank you. I hope so too!
I do hope you get Hank as i lost my staffy 3yrs ago and i can't replace him but it's everyone to their own in that respect :)
Hank is half staff/pitbull but such a lovely Blue and great markings, oh i do hope you get him

Tez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jkkgron2 said:
Maybe ask “Does he tend to wake up early in the morning?” My dog keeps waking me up around 5:30-6:30 because due to work sometimes my dad has to get up early and our dog doesn’t want to fall asleep back asleep , he’s a puppy and it’s not like a permanent thing (he’s started realizing We won’t get up) but just be prepared to be to tell him “No” if he tries to do something like that at the beginning
Your dads put your pup into a nice routine for you ;) and used to doing is mess at those times, so be prepared.

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Tez said:
Your dads put your pup into a nice routine for you ;) and used to doing is mess at those times, so be prepared.
By realizing we won’t get up I mean he has discovered that when we won’t get up that he should use his big boy bark to make us :D!

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Tez said:
I do hope you get Hank as i lost my staffy 3yrs ago and i can't replace him but it's everyone to their own in that respect :)
Hank is half staff/pitbull but such a lovely Blue and great markings, oh i do hope you get him
Oh no one will ever be able to replace my baby that I lost (I say baby but he was 16).

Half staff/pit makes him an American Bully right? That’s what I think I’ve figured out through research. I don’t care what he is. I just love him.

We are still waiting. I am trying to be patient and understand that the people running the rescue are volunteers with jobs and lives as well. It is killing me. I have shopping carts full on four different online sites. Not only do we need the basics (bowls, beds, collar, ID tags, food, etc) I just want to spoil him and make the rest of his life the absolute best he has ever had. I just need to make sure he is ours.

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
STILL no word on Hank. The waiting is killing me.

I understand that there were at least two applications ahead of us and that these things take time and that they are being very thorough to make sure Hank is placed in the perfect home. I appreciate that. I really do.

BUT...I want my sweet puppy man dog!!! :bigtears:

Tez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jkkgron2 said:
I mean he has discovered that when we won’t get up that he should use his big boy bark to make us :D!
You must move you know when needs be :hilarious:
BNBetta said:
American Bully right?
Yes he's an American Bully but the blue comes from abroad and years back the blues was took to Ireland and now they've come here but i will tell you this if you get him, blues suffer from skin conditions, just in case anything occurs if you get him and i hope you do.

Well to me if you've got a loving home to give him, secure grounds to hold him in until your walk him and knowing you had a good history with your dog you lost, then you should be allowed to have him and i know what you mean about collars etc, i still have my bruno's and when i had the portrait done of him, it's like he's with me totally now.

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am already aware that Hank has special needs and I am okay with that. He tested heart worm positive but has been treated and is now just on the month preventive. He is due for a recheck for that in May or June. He has had surgery on his eyes due to an issue with his eyelashes caused by malnutrition. I am not sure about any other special needs he may have but Macia and I are okay with that.
We just want to love him to bits and spoil him and give him the absolute best rest of his life.

We have a VERY loving home. We do live in an apartment but I am home all day for potty and play time. Plus, we are pretty active and Hank is absolutely going to be included in whatever we do. We also visit my grandmother and our daughter a lot who both have fenced in yards. Plus I have read that American Bullies do just fine in apartments as long as they get enough exercise which we are more than willing and able to provide.
We also don't HAVE to stay in the apartment. We have talked about it and are willing and able to move to an actual house if we want. The apartment is just out of convenience since it's just the two of us.

Tez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BNBetta said:
I am already aware that Hank has special needs and I am okay with that. He tested heart worm positive but has been treated and is now just on the month preventive. He is due for a recheck for that in May or June. He has had surgery on his eyes due to an issue with his eyelashes caused by malnutrition. I am not sure about any other special needs he may have but Macia and I are okay with that.
We just want to love him to bits and spoil him and give him the absolute best rest of his life.

We have a VERY loving home. We do live in an apartment but I am home all day for potty and play time. Plus, we are pretty active and Hank is absolutely going to be included in whatever we do. We also visit my grandmother and our daughter a lot who both have fenced in yards. Plus I have read that American Bullies do just fine in apartments as long as they get enough exercise which we are more than willing and able to provide.
We also don't HAVE to stay in the apartment. We have talked about it and are willing and able to move to an actual house if we want. The apartment is just out of convenience since it's just the two of us.
I am pleased he's being treated for issues plus you'll be at home for him, i was looking up American bullies and they have short pointed ears, so really he is classed as a staffy mainly because we have them crossed here and sold and they always come under a staffordshire bull terrier but with out pedigree being crossed but they mainly carry the face in the pit..mainly their mouth shaping gives them away.

I found the history of the blues if your interested in reading it :)

History

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Actually, (it’s hard to tell in the picture) Hank’s ears have been removed. Not neatly and not surgically either. People here will remove the ears of bully breeds to make them look more intimidating and/or if they are fighting them.
Hank was picked up as a stray so unfortunately we don’t know his past. Just that he has has a rough one.

I am interested in reading the history. Will do that as soon as we get home from the gym. If we had Hank there is a park near here that we would take him too. We go there and walk the trails a lot.

Tez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BNBetta said:
Actually, (it’s hard to tell in the picture) Hank’s ears have been removed. Not neatly and not surgically either. People here will remove the ears of bully breeds to make them look more intimidating and/or if they are fighting them.
Hank was picked up as a stray so unfortunately we don’t know his past. Just that he has has a rough one.
I think it's a total shame what people will do to an animal for their own usage...if it was done as pup young he wouldn't feel it as it's still gristle till the ears start forming shape but if it was done when he was a bit older then it would hurt and they usually put an iron on them to stop the bleeding, people still chop dogs tails here although it's against the law.

I had my bruno when he was 2yrs old a young couple had him and the chap was knocking him about, he was terrified of newspapers until i stroked one over him and played with one by him and he was ok but you lift one in the air he did growl, so to me he was hit with newspapers.

Well at least you have good walking space with a park for exercising...it's the waiting game that puts you on tender hooks.

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am feeling like maybe Hank won't be coming home with us. :(

Tomorrow will be a week and despite leaving two messages we have not heard anything from the rescue. I DO understand that these are volunteers and they have jobs and lives and whatnot. However their website plainly states any messages will be replied to/returned within 48 hours. We've heard not a single peep.

I also understand that we were not the first to put in an application for him and that one of the other homes may have been a perfect fit for him. If so, that's OK. I truly do want what is best for Hank and for him to be happy. It would just be nice to actually know instead of having to sit here and wonder.

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BNBetta said:
I am feeling like maybe Hank won't be coming home with us. :(

Tomorrow will be a week and despite leaving two messages we have not heard anything from the rescue. I DO understand that these are volunteers and they have jobs and lives and whatnot. However their website plainly states any messages will be replied to/returned within 48 hours. We've heard not a single peep.

I also understand that we were not the first to put in an application for him and that one of the other homes may have been a perfect fit for him. If so, that's OK. I truly do want what is best for Hank and for him to be happy. It would just be nice to actually know instead of having to sit here and wonder.
Hopefully it is just a busy week and a lot of critters are going to new homes, sorry to hear you might not get Hank. It sounds like you would have given him his perfect puppy life if he came to you.

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I hope that's what it is. I just don't have a happy feeling in my guts about it right now.

We would definitely have made sure he had the most amazing life! :)

BNBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hank did indeed find a new home. I am a little sad but really happy for Hank. I am glad he finally has a home and family to call his own.

We are still planning on adding a dog to our family. I think we are going to see another one on Saturday. He is not a pit bull. He is a little pug boy. We will see how it goes. Maybe this is why we weren't chose for Hank. Maybe this little dude needs us more.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom