Hoover Multi-Colored LED Lighting

Bithimala

Product: Hoover Multi-Colored LED lighting

I picked these up yesterday just for some experimentation, it was a pack of 5 for $20. While they aren't officially aquarium lights, and I wouldn't try putting them in the aquarium, I've used two near my betta tank and they add some wonderful lighting effects. They each take 3 AAA batteries that were included.

Pros: Dimmable; remote control or push to turn on/off and change colors, 10, 30, 60, and 120 minute timer to turn them off; come with sticky material for mounting if desired; each light can be a different color or they can all be the same; no wiring work/electricity required; make a good alternate option for putting a standard background on a tank, assuming you have a light colored wall behind (mine is slightly off-white, so the lighting is very visible).

Cons: Not aquarium items so can't go into the water; no idea what the lumens are on them

Unknown Pro/Con: Not sure how long the batteries will last, I'll provide updates, since if they run through them quickly I would consider it to be a con, but if they last a while, definitely a pro.

Examples from my tank. I have one light at the back left corner facing up and one on the wall about 10 inches about the tank (sorry for the blurry betta in some, oddly, he doesn't like to sit still for photography without flash):

Coradee

They look quite good & have a nice effect for smaller tanks.
I can't imagine the batteries would last too long if the light was on for several hours each day though, it'll be interesting to find out when you to an update

Bithimala

After 3 days of running them about 12-14 hours a day, the lights are starting to fade. It seems blue takes the least power, as the red will not stay on one of them currently, but it's ok with blue. I was stress testing them, so had them on white the entire time that the main tank light was on, and then on one of the other colors once I swapped the tank over to evening lights.

Will be swapping out batteries and testing just having them on in the evening with the blue light on the tank starting this evening, which will be about 2-3 hours a day.

thepianoguy

does it work for plants? high light?

Bithimala

They're LEDs, so I wouldn't really consider them to be high plant light. The package didn't say what the actual numbers were, so I have no idea.

thepianoguy

oh well.

Bithimala

Yeah, I was honestly hoping they would do well for the plants. I've ended up just moving my other plant light above that tank, since otherwise the plants above the tank light will get 0 light.

thepianoguy

can you figure out the par level?

how much does it cost?

thepianoguy

I have cfl right now, works great too!

Bithimala

Alright, so at 2-3 hours a day, they run through the batteries in about 3 weeks...

Latest threads

Top Bottom