Hood or no Hood

AcuarioAmazonico

Apologies if this topic has been covered before - but I have a roughly 6x2 that has a large, heavy hood.

It has been off for a couple of weeks as I did a proper clean/rearrangement of some pots and driftwood. (Need a friend to help me lift it back into place).

Whilst the tank looks ‘Smaller’ without the hood I’m actually quite a fan. It’s more ‘Clean’ looking - and it could give me the option of putting an additional HOB on one side - a nice tidal 110 would work - adding more surface movement and skimming the far side of the tank too.

My question is about your preference... hood yea or nay?

I imagine the evoporation would come into play - though glass or Perspex could still be used - and the additional filter (whilst not necessarily pretty) would be a welcome change.

Aesthetically/practically - what are your thoughts?

Cheers

BigBeardDaHuZi

I reckon a hood is mostly about aesthetics anyway. If it looks better off, than pull it.
I am curious how much it will affect the evaporation

Flyfisha

Hi AcuarioAmazonico I run lids on all tanks / hoods if you must write Americanese. ? Having had far to many small fish jump out in the past. They still jump out when feeding or working with the lid off on water change day.

With the temperature starting to rinse as summer comes you will find evaporation to be extreme in our climate.

Perspex will bow with heat on one side and water on the other. Sunlite polycarbonate sheet will give a flat surface and is what is used worldwide but this is an aussie brandimage.jpg
image.jpg
I would love to have a tank without a lid/ hood but I have yet to find a species of fish suitable. As I have fish mostly under two inches I have found they all jump sooner or later.

AcuarioAmazonico

Flyfisha thank you! That polycarbonate is exactly what I use - I just thought it was Perspex hahahaha good to know I’m on the right stuff at any rate.

My tank is an American cichlid tank - Vieja, Severum, blood parrot and striped silver Ds. I think the hood (this is surely more British than Sepo?! Haha) off does look better - though I think a HOB will ruin that possibly on such a large aquarium. I’ve never had any jump during water change or this past fortnight with it off.

My small 4 foot tank has no ‘lid’ - but I think at that small size it doesn’t need one (lest it look bulky).

I am somewhat worried as we come into summer - but there are never any open windows and the place stays relatively cool constantly. I barely turn on my aircon - just use a fan when it gets bad. So If the evap is major and I find the water lowering too much I may pop it back on. I do weekly WC anyway so no problem topping up.

I’ll see how I go. Thanks for the info.

BigBeardDaHuZi

Flyfisha said:
Hi AcuarioAmazonico I run lids on all tanks / hoods if you must write Americanese. ? Having had far to many small fish jump out in the past. They still jump out when feeding or working with the lid off on water change day.

With the temperature starting to rinse as summer comes you will find evaporation to be extreme in our climate.

Perspex will bow with heat on one side and water on the other. Sunlite polycarbonate sheet will give a flat surface and is what is used worldwide but this is an aussie brandimage.jpg
image.jpg
I would love to have a tank without a lid/ hood but I have yet to find a species of fish suitable. As I have fish mostly under two inches I have found they all jump sooner or later.
I haven't had any jumpers, but that is a really good point.

Flyfisha

With a fan blowing at 45 degrees you can keep the temperature lower but increase the evaporation.

The second week in February will have you freaking out . As it’s hot down under.
Our fish die from lack of oxygen long before they boil . Adding one or more air stones now my help the human relax?
Tropical fish can handle 30 centigrade for a few days / a week. That about the top for plants. Cold water fish start to fail when the water stays above 30 for a week.

Add an air stone now. Buy a fan . Have frozen bottles of conditioned water if it’s your first summer. Changing bottles every few hours is not something I do anymore.

I have found any electric motor in water will raise the temperature. Internal filters . power heads, and HOB with the motor in water are not ideal in summer.

Edit
I have had an albino BN pleco jump out. That’s about as much of a non jumping bottom dwelling fish as you can get.
They don’t come back to life if you soak them in water when they are dry.

AcuarioAmazonico

Thanks mate - I’ve kept fish for years - and this tank has been with me for a summer already. I’ve been in this house for over 10 years and never had any other tank overheat nor lost a fish due to temp or water parameters. Only age or being eaten by a mate hahaha

I of course have plenty or air and movement - and last summer for example there was no more evaporation than other times (hood was on then of course) and when I refer to fan I mean for myself not the tanks. :) I live in a converted warehouse in town. Thick concrete building that doesn’t heat up - always relatively cool... can’t say the same for outside in Jan/Feb! :)

If I have to have aircon for 12 hours say, I will - with filters lights and pumps my juice bill is sky high anyway so that’s not my concern - more a case of not needing it rather than not using it.

My hood questions are generally about a) how does it look and b) will the evaporation (that is expected) be significantly different.

I am pretty comfortable I have the rest covered.... I hope! :)

Dennis57

On all my tanks 2-20s, 1-55 and 1-125, I use custom cut glass on top of the tanks and all my tanks have custom hoods that I built

AcuarioAmazonico

Dennis57 said:
On all my tanks 2-20s, 1-55 and 1-125, I use custom cut glass on top of the tanks and all my tanks have custom hoods that I built
That’s awesome. I am not handy. Lucky if I can put together a Kmart or ikea bookshelf and have it sturdy! :)

Wish I was able to throw something together. Got any pods of your handy work?

Top Bottom