Hood And filter recommendations?

1. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Hi,

I just got a bristlenose pleco, which is a beauty but poops a lot. in the subforums on plecos here, I asked what I should do in terms of cleanup, and one of the members recommended that I get a more powerful filter. Problem is that my current hood "Marineland Eclipse System 3" cannot really support a power filter to be hooked up, and I am not willing to go without a hood, so I am considering the option of replacing the hood, but there are a few things to consider:

(1) I have the acrylic 30 gallon aquarium called Seaclear Eclipse 3 Compatible Aquarium, with dimensions 12.5x 30 x 18, and any hood I have must fit that.

(2) My aquarium is located between the sofa in the living room and the hallway, and only one of the short sides is against a wall, thus I do not really have a "back" and any filter I have would need to thus be as unobtrusive as possible to interfer the least with viewing aquarium from any side. I also have very little space available close to aquarium and no shelf (though there is some space underneath).

(3) When my mother in law visits, she will be sleeping on this sofa (it is a sleeper sofa) plus in general this is very much part of our living room, so the filter needs to be fairly quiet. No, I do not have another place to put the aquarium, so please do not suggest that.

(4) I plan to get red cherry shrimp. I was planning to put a stocking on filter intake. Any filter I get should be able to support that.

(5) I have sand substrata (because I want to get Cory catfish, and they like sand).

(6) I want a filter that is powerful enough to take care of bristlenose pleco poop etc, even if our family go on vacation for a week or two, so that I do not need to ask someone to clean aquarium - just ask them to feed fish, or I might buy automatic feeder for that time.

(7) While I can do simple adjustments to out of package system, but I am not a very handy woman and do not own power tools, so I would like a hood that can be used pretty much as is.

(8) I paid over $100 for the current hood (and I just bought it recently!), which is turning out to be inadequate, and the expenses for aquarium have been high so far, so if you could keep cost in mind when making recommendations, I would appreciate it.

(9) I am having a stressful time at work right now, so I don't have time to research or shop around, so I greatly appreciate any recommendations for something that is easily available for online purchase in the U.S. or possibly for local purchase at Petco or Petland.

(10) I do have a few plants and would love to have more, so the hood needs to have lights that are strong enough to support that, but it is fine to limit to low light plants like Java Moss or Java Fern, though I would also have some interest in trying something like frogbit for top.

(11) Please keep in mind that I am just a beginner, and this is my first aquarium. Also my spouse while ok with the hobby might not be supportive of complex and expensive solution.

(12) I am a busy mother, wife, and working full time, so I need a solution that is low maintenance if possible.

Thank you for your help!

Joanna

2. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

How about a glass top and a eheim 2213 canister? Glass tops are fairly inexpensive, and my eheim canister is silent. Then you can find a light strip in your buget to go on top for your plants.

3. Dlondon95

Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I would recommend a SunSun canister filter. They are only sold on Ebay, and the are VERY cheap. I believe the model that would fit your tank is only about $60. They are very powerful and DEAD silent. I have to put my ear up to mine to even see if it's running.

4. OP
    OP
    J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Problem with glass top is that I have two boys who sometimes forget and bounce balls indoors. That's why I got an acrylc aquarium rather than glass to begin with, so I am not sure whether glass top would not be too much in risk of breaking. Any alternative suggestion?

With canister filter could I keep the current hood?

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

You should be able to sneak the tubing in there even with the marine land filter top. Might be a bit tricky but I think there is a large enough opening on the back for the power cords and such that you might be able to usurp in the process.