Honeys With Thick-lips???

adh/smile
HI everyone,

I have a 29 gallon tank. I wanted 4 honey gouramis, but the store apparently gave me 2 thick-lip gouramis and 2 honey gouramis. About a month ago three of the gouramis died. Now, only one thick-lip remains. I would love to restock the lost gouramis, but am not sure if adding new ones would be ok.

I've read that it is best to buy and add gouramis that came from the same tank so they are less aggressive to each other. I'm worried that if I add three new honey gouramis my thick-lip will bully them. There is plenty of hiding places among plants and rocks in my tank if the honeys need to escape, but I don't want their lives to be filled with terror.

Thanks!

Pictusboss
If you remove the thick lipped, change up the tank, add good sized gouramis, and put the thick lipped back in a day or two after the new gouramis, they should all have an equal chance of living peacefully.

adh/smile
Ok thanks! Now, I have my tank set up in a way I really like right now is there a way to avoid having to move all the rocks around? Would it be enough to take the thick-lip out and let the honeys get accustomed to the tank as it is now for a couple days and then put the thick-lip back in again? Do fish have a memory of their territories or are they like little Dory, "suffering from short-term memory loss?"

Pictusboss
sorry it took so long for me to reply, I hope you see this.

Yes, it should be fine, but it would be better to change stuff up. They do remember territorial borders but I wouldn't think it should be an issue as long is the new honey gourami that occupies the old thick lipped gouramis territory is of decent size.

adh/smile
Ok, thanks for your help! Would it work the same if I got more thick-lips? I'm just thinking that maybe my gourami now would like more fish of his species. Or would it not matter to him if I got honeys or thick-lips?

adh/smile
Ok, thanks for your help! Would it work the same if I got more thick-lips? I'm just thinking that maybe my gourami now would like more fish of his species. Or would it not matter to him if I got honeys or thick-lips?

Pictusboss
gourami's aren't typically group fish, sometimes you can have multiples of honey gourami's, but other than that, they are typically soloists.

adh/smile
Really? Ok. I thought at least the more peaceful species like thick-lips and honeys (honeys especially) liked being with other fish of their species. Not as schooling or shoaling fish, but just like to hang out with each other. So really, I don't HAVE to get more gouramis in the first place? I thought I HAD to because my thick-lip would be lonely.

Pictusboss
you don't have too, but it would look cool. Most Male gouramis are aggressive except honeys.

The thick lipped and the honey's should get along nicely. nothing I have read online says you can't get more thick lips. They seem to be pretty peaceful. Honestly, you can do pretty much whatever you want in this situation except add more gouramis that aren't honey or thick lipped

adh/smile
Haha, yes, I wouldn't dream of adding one of those viscous dwarfs! It's kind of sad that the dwarfs are so violent because they are so beautiful! Thank you so much for your help Pictusboss! I really appreciate it!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views
babykitten
Replies
Views