Honey sunset gourami care? 20 Gallon Tank

1. Wrtbrgr87 Member Member

Hi guys, I would like to seek your expertise again. I bought two honey sunset gourami and they are very playful, swimming gracefully and chasing each others' tails (not nipping at all) and they seem to swim together. I have never seen a gourami "school" like this but I like it. They seem very comfy in their new home. What size do they get? Petsmart said 4 inches but I think that's a bit much since they're dwarfs. I have aquarium salt and keep the temp steady at 78 degrees. My tank is still cycling so I am monitoring the ammonia and nitrite and nitrate levels attentively. I have 4 corydoras (emerald green) in with them and they even swim together. Is this too good to be true or have I finally found the right fish? I hope it'll last and I can take the best care of them. What do I need to know to make sure they live long happy lives?:;hi1
    Thanks so much in advance! I plan to feed them tropical flakes (high quality) and supplement that with frozen or freeze dried bloodworms once or twice a week. Is that ok? =)

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like a fun tank....the only concern I have is the stress from going through the cycle process and salt being added....labyrinth fish (the gouramis) and cories are very sensitive to salt...it stresses them and makes them over produce slime coat.....cories will swim together but gouramis dont usually ...once they get use to their new home and the tank is cycled, that could change with them....especially in a 20g ..so just be prepared...they can get usually 2-3 inches..if you use ANY freeze dried foods, soak them in a bit of tank water or fresh garlic juice first so that it wont expand in their stomachs and cause constipation .....good luck!

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with what Shawnie told you. Please don't buy any more fish while your tank is still cycling. Be sure to do plenty of water changes until the tank cycles and if you can find a bottle of Prime, it will help.

4. Wrtbrgr87 Member Member

I have the bottle of amquel which works wonderful. I don't want to buy anymore fish period. It's day 2 and they're still swimming together.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

amquel wont do anything for salt or help the cycle along...thats got to be priority for now..although id use the amquel instead of using salt ...

6. Wrtbrgr87 Member Member

It says at petsmart that gourami require aquarium salt. My guess is that it helps that with gill oxygen uptake. I only have the correct dose in for a 20 gallon tank so I don't understand the fuss about salt??

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

salt makes fish overproduce slime coat and stress them out more.stress reduces a fish's ability to ward off diseases ..ive never heard about gill oxygen uptake...that would be a first for me..but I do know labyrinth fish do not tolerate salt welll at all..and petsmart is out to make money, Im advising for free ;)

8. Wrtbrgr87 Member Member

Well isn't it good to stimulate the slime coat somewhat in order to keep them well protected? I've never heard of salt making fish stressed because it says on the box it's a stress reliever. The standard dose of salt is in the tank now and it's excellent at preventing disease.

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Here's another site's take on salt, just so you have another opinion. :) As with anything we tell you on here, we encourage you to research fully. Most of the people on fishlore advise against salt, unless you have a brackish or saltwater tank. Some recommend it under very limited conditions. A very few add it to their tanks.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article22.html

The salt myth has been around almost as long as the hobby itself. It goes like this ... "You should always add salt to your tank water because it reduces stress, adds electrolytes, improves gill function, speed disease recovery and more."

The quantity of salt you are told to add seems to vary with the poster and the local mythology but generally is on the order of one tablespoon per five gallons. This advice seems to be given with no questions asked about water hardness, species of fish kept, presence or absence of live plants, or even water volume of the tank.

The"use salt" prescription is presented as one of the great revealed truths about captive fish husbandry, it's universal and it's rarely if ever qualified or restricted. IT'S NOT BASED ON SCIENCE. In fact, it goes against many of the principals of aquatic biology as we know them.

The statement that "salt helps fish regulate their osmotic balance" is patently ridiculous! all fish are different in this regard, depending on where they live. Some species are native to "soft water/low dissolved solids" habitats while others inhabit hard and alkaline biotopes with high salt concentrations inherent in the water. The species inhabiting these very different environments have developed metabolic processes which take advantage of the specific chemistry of that water. To add salt in the misguided attempt to "help regulate osmotic balance" may actually upset that very balance you are erroneously trying to help.

Does adding salt reduce stress? does salt reduce YOUR stress? of course not and there's no evidence that it does so in fish either and in fact, in many species of fish it may actually increase it.

Adds electrolyte? salt is sodium chloride, period. Yes, those are "electrolytes" but unless you have extremely soft water, you can be certain that it already contains both sodium and chloride and a host of other ions as well. Do your fish need more? what evidence is there to support this "theory"?

your fish are much better served by leaving them alone and allowing them to regulate their own osmotic balance ... something they have been doing without your help for thousands of years.

10. Wrtbrgr87 Member Member

I'm sad to report one of my gourami just died 5 minutes ago. He was having trouble controlling his swimming and within 2 minutes he was at the bottom belly up. I think the salt is what killed him. It was so fast it was unbelievable. I've never seen anything like that before. He was gasping at the surface for air. I'm extremely upset right now and don't know what to think. It sucks being a beginner because just when you think you know something, you don't. I did a 75% water change in order to greatly reduce the amount of dissolved salt in the water. I will no longer use it. I will also wait until my tank fully cycles until adding more gourami. =(

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm so sorry! How awful and sad.

I think waiting for your tank to cycle before adding more fish is a good call.

Also, as far as being a beginner and feeling like you know stuff is concerned, I can tell you I've been a FL member for almost 3 months, and I have seen people on this site really help a lot of people. You won't go wrong trusting someone like Shawnie, believe me. :;nw

12. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry you lost him. Please don't be hard on yourself. Fishkeeping is a constant learning experience. Even the very experienced have things happen sometimes.