Question Honey Gouramis Id And Sex

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ordered some honey gouramis from my LFS, just want to verify that they are indeed the correct fish and possibly sex them. Guy at the store said 2 girls, 1 boy.
Photos attached.
20190531_170854.jpg
20190531_170848.jpg
20190531_170837.jpg
1559337540550.jpg
1559337566437.jpg

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's hard to tell, but they look like 2 girls and a boy to me. You can see on the one in the second picture that there is a distinctly brown stripe down her side, which means that she's almost certainly a girl. The really brightly colored on the left in the picture of a bag looks like a boy to me. I can't tell, which are the pictures of the third one? They should also get more distinct in their coloration as they settle in, then you should really be able to tell. And yes, they look like honeys to me, but I'm admittedly no expert.

Reactions: Zai

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also, it says in your signature that you are cycling multiple tanks, and have one that's up and running. Have you considered taking a small bit of the filter media from your current tank and using it to cycle the others? Just a suggestion, but you can pretty much instantly cycle the smaller tanks that way.

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's hard to tell, but they look like 2 girls and a boy to me. You can see on the one in the second picture that there is a distinctly brown stripe down her side, which means that she's almost certainly a girl. The really brightly colored on the left in the picture of a bag looks like a boy to me. I can't tell, which are the pictures of the third one? They should also get more distinct in their coloration as they settle in, then you should really be able to tell. And yes, they look like honeys to me, but I'm admittedly no expert.
Two of them look the exact same honestly, brown stripes, less color. I'm definitely no expert either but that's along what I was thinking, with the brightly colored one being the Male.

I actually need to change it bc the 29gal is now cycled, it's what these beauty's are going in. I had taken established media from the 20gal but it didn't seem to help much. I'll be adding more to my 10gal since I had to restart its cycle.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The bright colored one looks male to me. It has a pointed fin. The other two look more female because of their colors and curved fins. If those are in fact females then congrats lol, they're hard to find in my area because of more demand for more colorful males.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Two of them look the exact same honestly, brown stripes, less color. I'm definitely no expert either but that's along what I was thinking, with the brightly colored one being the Male.

I actually need to change it bc the 29gal is now cycled, it's what these beauty's are going in. I had taken established media from the 20gal but it didn't seem to help much. I'll be adding more to my 10gal since I had to restart its cycle.
If two are dull and one is bright, then yeah, they're probably 2 girls and 1 boy. As a time, though, I wouldn't trust the fish store to sex fish for me, they're not always good at it.

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If two are dull and one is bright, then yeah, they're probably 2 girls and 1 boy. As a time, though, I wouldn't trust the fish store to sex fish for me, they're not always good at it.
I typically dont, but I wasnt the one picking them up lol. Plus I honestly had no clue on how to sex gouramis

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The bright colored one looks male to me. It has a pointed fin. The other two look more female because of their colors and curved fins. If those are in fact females then congrats lol, they're hard to find in my area because of more demand for more colorful males.
We had to order them bc no one in my city even carried honey gouramis. Had others, but no honeys

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We had to order them bc no one in my city even carried honey gouramis. Had others, but no honeys
Oh, I didn't get that bit. If you order them from the right place, they'll typically do a pretty good job sexing them for you, I was just giving you a heads up because I haven't had the best luck with fish stores.

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh, I didn't get that bit. If you order them from the right place, they'll typically do a pretty good job sexing them for you, I was just giving you a heads up because I haven't had the best luck with fish stores.
ive luckily not had to worry about sexing until now (my other tank just has neon tetras and some cory cats).

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ive luckily not had to worry about sexing until now (my other tank just has neon tetras and some cory cats).
Yeah, I've found that honeys are pretty peaceful, but in my experience I like to have more girls because they seem to have great personalities (all of my males are grumpy boys who spend all their time making bubble nests and chasing the girls off). In a 29 gallon tank, I'm sure that you could get more if you're interested.

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, I've found that honeys are pretty peaceful, but in my experience I like to have more girls because they seem to have great personalities (all of my males are grumpy boys who spend all their time making bubble nests and chasing the girls off). In a 29 gallon tank, I'm sure that you could get more if you're interested.
I could but were adding an angelfish so I dont want to push it

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh, well have fun with your fish then! Sounds like it will be a pretty fun tank.

OhDaniGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've never been able to see the more pointed fin many people claim males have. The way I distinguish males from females is the males have a bright yellow stripe along the top of their dorsal fin. I also see two females and one male. Congrats, they're lovely!

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've never been able to see the more pointed fin many people claim males have. The way I distinguish males from females is the males have a bright yellow stripe along the top of their dorsal fin. I also see two females and one male. Congrats, they're lovely!
Me either, and I've had a group of 6 in my tank for quite a while now. No matter how long I look at their little fins, they all look rounded to me. I mostly just ignore the issue though. They're peaceful, so my male/female ratio doesn't matter that much, I guess.

OhDaniGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Me either, and I've had a group of 6 in my tank for quite a while now. No matter how long I look at their little fins, they all look rounded to me. I mostly just ignore the issue though. They're peaceful, so my male/female ratio doesn't matter that much, I guess.
They are a very nice little community fish. I have two males and two females and they are just delightful. As long as they're happy, I'm happy.

Top Bottom