Honey Gourami Won't Eat!

MissHoney

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just got a new Honey Gourami but it has been 2 weeks now and he doesn't seem to be eating. He is always too busy playing or fighting with his reflection to notice when it's feeding time! He seems completely healthy otherwise.

My tank is 20gallon tall with 5 neons, 4 julii corys, and one female guppy! I have tried blood worms, pellets, algae wafers and flakes. I am thinking of trying to infuse my bloodworms with garlic to see if he will be interested in that!

All the other fish have been growing and loving every food I've put in! Any suggestions on what to do?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I too had this issue, he wouldn't eat until later on
My honey still does this, and only eats occasionally, other times he just swims around.

I would try the garlic, see if that helps anything

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Definitely try the garlic, my honey loves it. He also loves frozen mosquito larvae. But to be honest, my gouramis snack constantly on my plants and pick stuff up from gravel, and they snack on algae form decorations. Try to observe him if he is snacking on random things between the feeding times.

Also, try putting tall plants or something to eliminate the reflection. He can be stressed thinking that there is another male in the tank. Also if he is rubbing on glass constantly it could be another issue to look at.

MissHoney

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I will try the garlic tonight then!

I do see him pick at the plants and the rocks sometimes during the day but is mostly busy with his reflection in the front of the tank. All my other fish are little pigs, maybe I'm just being a worried parent and he is just the diva of the tank

What issue am I looking at with the rubbing just in case?

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Justin Maciel said:
I will try the garlic tonight then!

I do see him pick at the plants and the rocks sometimes during the day but is mostly busy with his reflection in the front of the tank. All my other fish are little pigs, maybe I'm just being a worried parent and he is just the diva of the tank

What issue am I looking at with the rubbing just in case?
So mainly I think he could be stressing about seeing another male and constantly trying to fisght fish himself about territory. I read about this behavior on some other webpage and someone even suggested it could be a parasite that is irritating him so he is rubbing. But I would bet it on the reflection disturbing him

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom