Honey gourami with black face/chest?

EdieBadedie

Hello All. I picked up a pair of dwarf honey gourami (male and female) one week ago. They are doing great in their quarantine tank, and I noticed the males orange and yellow color started to come out. Now, he seems to have a lot of black as well. It was a little bit of a shock because I have never owned these guys. This isn't him, but it is a lot like what he looks like. Is it normal colors or did I get a different kind of gourami? Thanks!

1627317192697.png

MisterSnuffles

Apparently it’s just a sign of maturity. “When honey gourami reach sexual maturity they develop a darker color, but it usually starts at the bottom of the fish and shouldn't normally result in lack of appetite and decreased activity.”- Reddit

Upvote 0

Coradee

Hi that’s quite normal, he’s wearing his ‘best suit‘ to impress the females & encourage them to choose him to spawn with :)

Upvote 0

EdieBadedie

Hi that’s quite normal, he’s wearing his ‘best suit‘ to impress the females & encourage them to choose him to spawn with :)
Thanks for the reply! I had no idea the black coloring was also part of the mating colors. I love the way it looks!

Upvote 0

MisterSnuffles

Best suit XD.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

He looks great actually. The most vivid example I've seen to date. My male only has maybe 1/4 of that beard happening :D

edit: missed the "this isn't him" thing :/

either way, you good

Upvote 0

Hellfishguy

That's what wild-type Trichogaster chuna males look like when they're happy. You're obviously doing something right. When most people think of honey gouramis they mean the gold form or T. labiosa.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
EdieBadedie
  • Question
Replies
Views
Freshfishguy
  • Question
Replies