Honey gourami weird poops

Jgreen7
The last few days my honey gourami has been constantly (I mean constantly) letting off poops that have weird consistencies and a white color. Looking online white poop can either be parasites or lack of food.

One thing that I've noticed is I just put in a new piece of driftwood and it's growing a white "fur" substance on it that the gourami seems to be eating a lot. Could this be the reason for the white poop, or should I go ahead and start trying to treat for parasites.

Attachments

• 1E112026-0158-426C-B17C-8B9A8E90114B.jpeg
    1E112026-0158-426C-B17C-8B9A8E90114B.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 528130E5-C5D0-43C3-8403-03DA4FEE606B.jpeg
    528130E5-C5D0-43C3-8403-03DA4FEE606B.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 10
StarGirl
Welcome to Fishlore! :)

That is kind of a tough one. Because white stringy poop usually means something is wrong, but what they eat will reflect the color also. Maybe try feeding her some highly colored food and see if it makes a difference in the poop? Then go ahead with the parasite meds?

CindiL
Hi, welcome to fishlore. Did the poop only start like that after you put the wood in and noticed the fungus? Or did it start before he started eating the fungus?

The white fuzzy fungus that grows on decaying food or organic matter is called saprolegnia and is harmless though since he’s eating it, not sure thats very good for him. If it starts growing on your fish, which it can grow on sores and only dead tissue, then it would need to be treated, (unlike other diseases which attack live tissue). Best to keep it to a minimum in your tank so I’d probably take the wood out and do a bleach dip, or I think some people boil the wood first. I don’t know much about driftwood.

If he continues to poop like that after you clean the fungus off the wood, then it would point to parasites and I’d do a parasite treatment like Hikari Prazi Pro which is a gentle anti-parasitic.

To do a bleach dip, use 1 part unscented bleach to 20 parts water and dip the wood in it for a couple of minutes. After that, rinse it well then soak it in dechlorinated water for several minutes or longer.

Jgreen7
Hi, welcome to fishlore. Did the poop only start like that after you put the wood in and noticed the fungus? Or did it start before he started eating the fungus?

The white fuzzy fungus that grows on decaying food or organic matter is called saprolegnia and is harmless though since he’s eating it, not sure thats very good for him. If it starts growing on your fish, which it can grow on sores and only dead tissue, then it would need to be treated, (unlike other diseases which attack live tissue). Best to keep it to a minimum in your tank so I’d probably take the wood out and do a bleach dip, or I think some people boil the wood first. I don’t know much about driftwood.

If he continues to poop like that after you clean the fungus off the wood, then it would point to parasites and I’d do a parasite treatment like Hikari Prazi Pro which is a gentle anti-parasitic.

To do a bleach dip, use 1 part unscented bleach to 20 parts water and dip the wood in it for a couple of minutes. After that, rinse it well then soak it in dechlorinated water for several minutes or longer.
Yeah it only started after I put the driftwood in which was only a few days ago. I did soak the driftwood for two days and boiled it after for about 30 minutes. Thought that would be enough but guess not. I'll look at cleaning it off, I don't have any unscented bleach but I can take it out and scrub it off for now.

Jgreen7
Update!

I removed the driftwood and scrubbed off the majority of the fuzz and the next day his poop wasn't white anymore! Very glad it was the saprolegnia and not a parasite. Thank you both for helping!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hellfishguy
Replies
Views
Lucyn
Replies
Views
Jupiter Jack
Replies
Views