Honey gourami vertical and shallow breathing at surface

Vix1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi
I’m after advice on one of my honey gourami. He’s been acting strange and keeps hanging in the top corner (was horizontal at the surface and is now vertical) shallow breathing and has been passing sections of normal coloured poo and white stringy poo on the same line. Water parameters are fine (detailed below) and I did a full tank clean last night (keeping back 30% of the water to put back in and rinsing the filter sponge in the tank water in bucket. I’ve added salt as I’m not sure if he has a parasite problem or constipated or has dropsy. He’s been like that over a week now and I’ve also fed some of a pea to him (although he isn’t eating much he hasn’t had another white poo)

He looks dead in the picture but he’s not and I’m thinking is it cruel keeping him alive if he is suffering from something I can’t help with. He shares this particular tank with a Male Betta who is very chilled and they don’t bother each other at all and a couple of female (small) Bettas and one clown dwarf pleco which again doesn’t bother him.

Tank - 20litres
Amonia - 0
Nitrite - 0.25
Nitrate - 5
Ph- 7.5
Then I did the clean just to make sure tank levels 0

Attachments

CichlidJynx

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Vix1987 said:
Hi
I’m after advice on one of my honey gourami. He’s been acting strange and keeps hanging in the top corner (was horizontal at the surface and is now vertical) shallow breathing and has been passing sections of normal coloured poo and white stringy poo on the same line. Water parameters are fine (detailed below) and I did a full tank clean last night (keeping back 30% of the water to put back in and rinsing the filter sponge in the tank water in bucket. I’ve added salt as I’m not sure if he has a parasite problem or constipated or has dropsy. He’s been like that over a week now and I’ve also fed some of a pea to him (although he isn’t eating much he hasn’t had another white poo)

He looks dead in the picture but he’s not and I’m thinking is it cruel keeping him alive if he is suffering from something I can’t help with. He shares this particular tank with a Male Betta who is very chilled and they don’t bother each other at all and a couple of female (small) Bettas and one clown dwarf pleco which again doesn’t bother him.

Tank - 20litres
Amonia - 0
Nitrite - 0.25
Nitrate - 5
Ph- 7.5
Then I did the clean just to make sure tank levels 0
So with the water parameters I would guess your doing a fish in cycle? You shouldn’t have any No2 and a small trace of Nh3/Nh4. How long have you had the tank running?

Vix1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi
That’s right this is a fully cycled tank it’s been up since end of September beginning Oct
V

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
20 litres is also too small for a Thick Lipped Gourami, which is what you've got.

Vix1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have bigger tanks but I don’t want him bullied whilst something is wrong with him or any stress.

CichlidJynx

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Vix1987 said:
Hi
That’s right this is a fully cycled tank it’s been up since end of September beginning Oct
V
How was your tank cycled? And what was the introduction method for bacteria? All 6 of my tanks have 0.25 Ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20 nitrate.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What is your other tank like? Parameters, tankmates? Size?

Vix1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
I added liquid bacteria after water changes from the beginning and I’ve recently tried bacteria gel balls

CichlidJynx

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Vix1987 said:
I added liquid bacteria after water changes from the beginning and I’ve recently tried bacteria gel balls
Now that we’ve introduced bacteria what was the ammonia source? Fish or liquid? Some tanks take a LONG time to cycle. What is your filtration method as well?

Inner10

Valued Member
Reaction score
CichlidJynx said:
How was your tank cycled? And what was the introduction method for bacteria? All 6 of my tanks have 0.25 Ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20 nitrate.
Does your source water have ammonia in it? All of my tanks register 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and nitrate depends on how often I change water and how many plants. My moderate to heavily planted tanks can show no nitrates after weeks of not changing the water.

Vix1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
jinjerJOSH22 said:
What is your other tank like? Parameters, tankmates? Size?
I have a 25 litre which runs warmer because it has small German rams in there and a golden ram , parameters this morning before water maintenance
Amonia - 0
Nitrite - 0.25
Nitrate - 10
Ph - 7
KH - 3
GH - 7
Api salt remaining - 0.21 of tbsp

60 litres tank has ich on my red skirt tetras so that is being treated atm so hoping that doesn’t spread

CichlidJynx said:
Now that we’ve introduced bacteria what was the ammonia source? Fish or liquid? Some tanks take a LONG time to cycle. What is your filtration method as well?
Oh sorry I understand now , I’ve not added any chemicals amonia in the tank was their own . Filter method is the one shown in the second picture

Inner10 said:
Does your source water have ammonia in it? All of my tanks register 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and nitrate depends on how often I change water and how many plants. My moderate to heavily planted tanks can show no nitrates after weeks of not changing the water.
Hi
No - the levels are at the top of the thread. The tank has java fern in there and little bit of pond weed by the driftwood that you should be able to see

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry, which tank was he in when he became like this?

Sorry to say but none of these tanks are big enough for a adult Thick Lipped Gourami, they can reach close to 4 inches and are social.

CichlidJynx

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Vix1987 said:
Oh sorry I understand now , I’ve not added any chemicals amonia in the tank was their own . Filter method is the one shown in the second picture
Ok sorry I missed the sponge filter, I would definitely say your tank is currently cycling for all of my fish in cycles I do 50% water changes twice a week for 2-3 weeks.
Inner10 said:
I have slight traces of ammonia due to stocking but use live plants to keep my nitrates down. You should have steady nitrates for your plants, if not I would be dosing fertilizer

Vix1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
He was in this one because I’d noticed he was swimming little staggered in the 60 litre so I wanted to keep closer eye on him. I had actually been sold two of these by the pet store as dwarf ones and I only found out when I was researching them that they aren’t dwarf - that’s how I ended up with them

CichlidJynx said:
Ok sorry I missed the sponge filter, I would definitely say your tank is currently cycling for all of my fish in cycles I do 50% water changes twice a week for 2-3 weeks.
I have slight traces of ammonia due to stocking but use live plants to keep my nitrates down. You should have steady nitrates for your plants, if not I would be dosing fertilizer
I don’t want to use fertiliser as I’ve read that it shifts the water levels around. I just need advice on what everyone thinks might be wrong with my guy at the surface

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Vix1987 said:
He was in this one because I’d noticed he was swimming little staggered in the 60 litre so I wanted to keep closer eye on him. I had actually been sold two of these by the pet store as dwarf ones and I only found out when I was researching them that they aren’t dwarf - that’s how I ended up with them
Ok, how long have you had it?

Skirt Tetra can be jerks and may have caused additional stress. If there is Nitrite present that could be the cause.

Whatever the cause, water changes are your best friend here.

CichlidJynx

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Vix1987 said:
I don’t want to use fertiliser as I’ve read that it shifts the water levels around. I just need advice on what everyone thinks might be wrong with my guy at the surface
So I tagged inner10 in fertilizers but since I have your attention, it does add nitrates to your tank but doesn’t shift anything else. I would suggest checking out what Aquarium Co-app has to say a fertilizers. I would say it’s Nitrite poisoning. Was he doing this in the other tank?

Vix1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ve had him since October (there’s a pair) and the other one seemed distressed when he started staying at the surface and was racing around the glass but going up to nudge him so I separated them until I can help this one (if I can)
I did 75% change last night so I’m hoping that might help him too ... I just don’t have a clue what I’m treating

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Ok, how long have you had it?

Skirt Tetra can be jerks and may have caused additional stress. If there is Nitrite present that could be the cause.

Whatever the cause, water changes are your best friend here.
Do skirt tetras suffer easily with ich? It seems strange that just that species have it atm (x5) I’m hoping they don’t pass it on

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Vix1987 said:
I’ve had him since October (there’s a pair) and the other one seemed distressed when he started staying at the surface and was racing around the glass but going up to nudge him so I separated them until I can help this one (if I can)
I did 75% change last night so I’m hoping that might help him too ... I just don’t have a clue what I’m treating
Is the other Gourami the same type?

Vix1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
CichlidJynx said:
So I tagged inner10 in fertilizers but since I have your attention, it does add nitrates to your tank but doesn’t shift anything else. I would suggest checking out what Aquarium Co-app has to say a fertilizers. I would say it’s Nitrite poisoning. Was he doing this in the other tank?
No he wasn’t doing this but the other fish in this one are fine and nitrite levels are 0-0.25 before I did 75% change

CichlidJynx

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Vix1987 said:
I would say it’s your parameters, I would treat with 1 table spoon to 2 gallons to help rebuild his slime coat and help fight off any fungal Infection

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom