Honey Gourami Thought I Bought 2 Females And One Male But I Think I Was Wrong.

Mathieu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys! Last Sunday I bought 3 honey gouramis the goal was a trio (2 females and 1 male)
I picked out 1 bright yellow (male) and 2 greyish female with a strong dark stripe on the side.

The 2 "CK Yeo 2008" picture was my reference (Knowing that the black underbelly for the male would come once ready to mate)

Anyways once I got home today I noticed that one of the "female" lost her dark line and is now more orange with a black underbelly... The "male" is still bright yellow like when I bought it. The other female lost a bit of the line but I believe this is because she is being chased by the "new" male.

Did I buy 2 males and one female or could the yellow one be a female? hard to sexe them by their dorsal fin... Also, the one with the dark belly is chasing the one with the line but doesn't care about the yellow and the one with the line chases the yellow one.

Thanks!

Attachments

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like you might've gotten a Sunset/Thicklip mixed in there.

OP
M

Mathieu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Katie13 said:
It looks like you might've gotten a Sunset/Thicklip mixed in there.
the yellow one? could they still breed if its a female?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you've one male (black throat) and two different types of female (the yellow type and the wild / original type)

OP
M

Mathieu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DoubleDutch said:
I think you've one male (black throat) and two different types of female (the yellow type and the wild / original type)
Thank you! Do you know if they will/can still breed? The yellow one is kinda left alone in the back with the plants and the other female will chase it when she goes near the back

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mathieu said:
Thank you! Do you know if they will/can still breed? The yellow one is kinda left alone in the back with the plants and the other female will chase it when she goes near the back
They can all breed. Thr black throat means the male is in mating mood. You might find a bubblenest soon.

New Threads