Honey gourami tank mates

vino32

Currently I have 1 honey gourami in my tank. I’m considering what fish to add next. Was thinking about one more honey gourami but I don’t want to overcrowd my 20 gallon. I’m strongly leaning towards either zebra danios or neon tetras with some Cory catfish in the future. So could 2 honey gouramis live comfortably in a 20 gallon with two other small schools of fish? Or am I better off keeping only the single honey?

Myyyman

Yeah that'll work, I'd make the tetras or zebras a school of eight, and the corys in a group of five or six, they would'nt school though. Other ideas are three spot gouramis, angelfish (only one) instead of honey gouramis (although honeys are probably the way to go). For schools, you could try kuhli loaches instead of corys if you want, or harlequin rasboras of serpae tetras instead of neons or zebras but thats up to you.

vino32

are you saying with single gourami or two? That seems like an ideal stock but maybe a little much?

jake37

20 long or 20 high ?

vino32

20 long

Myyyman

No, two gouramis is good. They aren't as big as some other gouramis. Just don't go crazy with the amount of fish you school. 20 gallons isn't as small as some people make it out to be.

jake37

I'd add 8 pygmy or salt and pepper cory and maybe 6 chili rasboras along with a second honey.

Myyyman

I'd add 8 pygmy or salt and pepper cory and maybe 6 chili rasboras along with a second honey.
Are you sure? I would do a swap with 5-6 bottom dwellers and 8 schoolers as they have the smaller bioload.

vino32

Thank you guys for the input. I agree with 5-6 bottom dwellers, maybe more if they were Pygmy corys. But will definitely add another honey gourami first! Such a cool fish. Does male/female companion matter or will either be good together if I’m not interested in breeding?

jinjerJOSH22

Honestly, it likely wouldn't matter, males aren't usually overly aggressive towards each other but you'll like have a better harmony with a male and female.

However my suggestion for stocking would be:
3-5 Honey Gourami
10 Chilli Rasbora
8-10 Pygmy Corydoras

All the fish stay relatively small and keeping them in greater numbers should fulfill their social needs.

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom