Honey Gourami Tank Mates?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ktgruner, Apr 20, 2018.

1. ktgrunerValued MemberMember

I “inherited” some fish from a gal and am trying to figure out some future compatible tank mates. They are currently in quarantine so not planning on buying anyone else quite yet, but just trying to have a game plan so I don’t go to the store and do the whole “buy pretty fish without researching” thing...

Unfortunately a few of the fish have died during quarantine, but 7 zebra danios and 2 honey gouramis look like they’re doing well and will be able to survive.

I’m debating who should live with the honey gouramis in the future. I have an established 20 gallon high that’s currently fish-less (been keeping it cycled w/ammonia though). I am planning on putting the gouramis in there. I haven’t decided yet if I will put the danios in - I also have a larger community tank that already has a school of zebra and leopard danios so these new ones could easily be added there. That tank currently has a dwarf gourami and I wouldn’t want to add anything more that the danios to it.

So who should live with the 2 honey gouramis in the 20 gallon? Should I keep the danios with them or put them in my big community tank? What are some other stocking options with the honey gouramis?

2. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

You could do
    4 Honey Gouramis
    8 Neon Tetras or 8 Zebra Danios
    2 Bolivian Rams or 8 Corydora Hasboras or 8 Peppered Corys

3. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Many will disagree, but I think Danios could work. I personally keep a school of Ember Tetras with my two Honey Gouramies.

4. 123Valued MemberMember

I have a honey gourami with killies (Japanese rice fish) good buddies. They respect each other :D Plus I like how the tiny silver shiny rice fishes let the gourami's colors to stand out. :) They are also playful and fast, which I think it nice contrast to my chill gourami. :) But of course they could end up eaten if you decide to add a bigger fish tank the gourami :)

5. ktgrunerValued MemberMember

I do love corys so a school of those might be fun... I don’t know anything about killies so will need to do some research on those...

I think I want to stay away from neon tetras just because they’ve looked so sickly and unhealthy at Petco, and our nearest fish store is three hours away :(

6. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

H. Gourami's one of my top 10 faves! Very friendly and curious creatures. : ) Works well with pretty much any other peaceful fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice