Honey Gourami Stocking Question - 40g Blackwater Tank Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by shannon767, Jun 24, 2018.

1. s

shannon767 Valued Member Member

Hi, everyone. I have a 40 g black water tank with the following fish:

4 honey gourami
    Pair of triple red apistogramma
    9 Kuhli Loaches
    13 espei rasboras

Now that the gouramis have settled in and colored up, I see that I have 3 males and 1 female. Is this ok? Should/could I add more females? These are new fish for me, so I don’t know enough about them to know if I’m going to have an issue.

Thanks for your help!

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm, the honeys would be happier if you could reverse that ratio and have 1 male with 3 females, but it's hard to get females (at least around here). Got pics?

3. OP
    OP
    s

Here’s a pic. I have three that look like the guy on the right, and then just the female you see on the left. She spends most of her time hiding while each of the males have staked a claim to their own territory.

4b205d4b230c80b0c498f3a8d77e589f.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    s

Here’s an early picture of one of the males before he completely colored up.

0e8b4abccca4fc288ec4eda9d9d3108c.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    s

6. OP
    OP
    s

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Honey gouramis are very peaceful, so it may work out fine, but you have room for more anyway, and it would be good if you could add 3-4 females, if possible.

8. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Nice plantings ;) I could be wrong, but the dorsal fin on the "female" looks more like a boy's to me. Is it shorter and rounder than the others' dorsal fins?

9. OP
    OP
    s

Somehow the last picture of my male got posted three times, but I swear I only did it once. LOL So the last three is one male. The female is the one on the left of the first picture. She has shown no signs of the darker underbelly like the other three, so I feel pretty confident that it’s a female. But I could be wrong. Like I said, I’m new to these guys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice