Honey Gourami Sitting On The Gravel

FishOverseer909

Today I noticed that my honey gourami was sitting on the gravel of my tank underneath the filter at first I thought he was dead but to my surprise he sprang up and swam up ate some food spit it out swallowed it again then went back to the bottom. What's unusual about this situation is that its sitting completely upright instead of getting pushed around by the filter's flow. Is this some sort of weird behavior? Can anyone help?

jinjerJOSH22

Today I noticed that my honey gourami was sitting on the gravel of my tank underneath the filter at first I thought he was dead but to my surprise he sprang up and swam up ate some food spit it out swallowed it again then went back to the bottom. What's unusual about this situation is that its sitting completely upright instead of getting pushed around by the filter's flow. Is this some sort of weird behavior? Can anyone help?
Hi, this is rarely a good sign. Just how strong is the flow? It sounds too strong from the comment you made.
Can you fill in this emergency template. Give us an idea of what is going on. Adding photo's of the fish and tank as well as listing the other fish can also help.

FishOverseer909

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?26 gal
How long has the tank been running?4 years
Does it have a filter?Yes, HOB
Does it have a heater?Yes
What is the water temperature?76 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)8 embers, 7 CPDs, 1 Bristlenose, 3 guppies, an unknown number of assassin snails, and 2 scarlet badis(Though they'll be moved soon)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?Once every week however sometimes every two weeks
How much of the water do you change?50-60%
What do you use to treat your water?Tetra Water Conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?Vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?Yes
What do you use to test the water?API Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0 ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:10ppm
pH:8.2-0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?Once every day
How much do you feed your fish?A pinch of flakes with a sprinkle of daphnia and occasionally a few bloodworms
What brand of food do you feed your fish?Tetra
Do you feed frozen?I feed them frozen bloodworms occasionally
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?Daphnia

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?2 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?He's just sitting underneath his filter
Have you started any treatment for the illness?No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?He looks a little chubby near what you could call his abdomen but he doesn't have the weird scales related to dropsy

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
Already have.

jinjerJOSH22

He looks a little chubby near what you could call his abdomen but he doesn't have the weird scales related to dropsy
I think a photo when you can would help.
How do you feed the freeze dried daphnia?
How often is "occasionally"? Bloodworms should only be fed sparsely, they aren't particularly good for fish, at least not frequently.

FishOverseer909

I think a photo when you can would help.
How do you feed the freeze dried daphnia?
How often is "occasionally"? Bloodworms should only be fed sparsely, they aren't particularly good for fish, at least not frequently.
Unfortunately I'm in school so I can't provide a picture however I can answer the other two questions firstly I feed blood worms like once every month and to feed my fish with the daphnia I sprinkle it in on to the top of my tank

Madelon

How long have your lights been on? I have a honey gourami and sometimes it takes him a little to wake up and get moving. Did you notice this last night before the lights turned off or just now? Sometimes I get scared that my fish is sick but he's actually just resting. If the flow is strong, they're probably using a lot of energy and probably tired.

If the flow is too strong, try using a sponge to interrupt the flow. I did that for mine and it cut the flow by a lot.

If the fish is still getting up to get food, that's technically a good sign. When my other gourami got sick, she did not want to eat at all. Wouldn't even move when food floated right in front of her. I'd keep a close eye on your gourami today and tomorrow.

FishOverseer909

How long have your lights been on? I have a honey gourami and sometimes it takes him a little to wake up and get moving. Did you notice this last night before the lights turned off or just now? Sometimes I get scared that my fish is sick but he's actually just resting. If the flow is strong, they're probably using a lot of energy and probably tired.

If the flow is too strong, try using a sponge to interrupt the flow. I did that for mine and it cut the flow by a lot.

If the fish is still getting up to get food, that's technically a good sign. When my other gourami got sick, she did not want to eat at all. Wouldn't even move when food floated right in front of her. I'd keep a close eye on your gourami today and tomorrow.
I keep my lights on 9 hours a day and perhaps that could be the problem when I return home I'll make sure to check.

jinjerJOSH22

to feed my fish with the daphnia I sprinkle it in on to the top of my tank
It's good practice to soak your freeze dried food before adding it to the aquarium. Freeze dried can cause digestive issues if it isn't properly prepared beforehand. I recommend switching to frozen Daphnia if you can.

Do you have floating plants? These are great in Gourami tanks provided you maintain them properly.

FishOverseer909

It's good practice to soak your freeze dried food before adding it to the aquarium. Freeze dried can cause digestive issues if it isn't properly prepared beforehand. I recommend switching to frozen Daphnia if you can.

Do you have floating plants? These are great in Gourami tanks provided you maintain them properly.
Yes I have a ever growing ducked population
Yes I have a ever growing ducked population
Duckweed*

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sofiafish17
Replies
Views
ystrout
Replies
Views