Honey Gourami Shoal

Harvster10

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hi, I’ve got a 20 gal which really needs livening up. There are 4 cardinal tetras 3 widow tetras 3 bronze corys and 1 male apisto. Panduro. I’m hoping to eventually upgrade to around 8 cardinal tetras 6 bronze corys 4or5 widow tetras. I’ve not had gouramis for a while and am looking into getting 3 or 4 honeys, or if there are any others that you recommend.

Ps in the future if i lose the apisto would I be able to try some pairs in that set up

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats a lot of fish in a 20gal. Is it a 20gal long or tall? At most I’d have one school (6-8) of mid dwelling fish, one school of bottom dwellers and then a trio of honey gourami or a pair of apistos.

Harvster10

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Demeter said:
Thats a lot of fish in a 20gal. Is it a 20gal long or tall? At most I’d have one school (6-8) of mid dwelling fish, one school of bottom dwellers and then a trio of honey gourami or a pair of apistos.
It’s 20 gal bow front. I’m not going to get rid of any fish. I know that I am definitely getting more cardinal tetras. If I just do that could I get some dwarf gouramis or 1 larger like a pearl or golden

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A pearl or golden gourami get too big for this tank.

Dwarf gourami males will fight and should not be kept together. Females are rare.

All of your schooling/shoaling species need to be in bigger groups of their own species (minimum 6 for the cardinals, black widows, and cories), but that doesn't leave room for anything else in the tank, I think. You'd be overstocked as it is.

Harvster10

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok so I will get a couple more cardinals. The widows have been together for years and they seem okay together. Are you sure corys need bigger groups, because they all seem to act as individuals rather than a shoal. Also is there any difference between honey and dwarf gouramis in terms of aggression

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, they should be in groups of their own species. What species do you have?

Honeys are more peaceful than DGs, and males can be kept together. You don't have room for either species though.

Harvster10

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
TexasDomer said:
Yes, they should be in groups of their own species. What species do you have?

Honeys are more peaceful than DGs, and males can be kept together. You don't have room for either species though.
I don’t have any gouramis at the moment and I was looking into some if that’s what you meant

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He does have a nice mix though...I love Apistos and Kribs. : ) One of my old tanks had a Krib who kinda-sorta schooled with my Cardinals heh

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Harvster10 said:
I don’t have any gouramis at the moment and I was looking into some if that’s what you meant
I mean what species of cory do you have? They should be in big groups of their own species.

Small Tanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cory cats should be kept in groups of 5 - 6 or more (and really are worth it when they are as their behavior is definitely better in shoals).

I would look at those and then get a female mate for your Apisto rather than adding gouramis or something new to the mix.

Harvster10

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Small Tanks said:
Cory cats should be kept in groups of 5 - 6 or more (and really are worth it when they are as their behavior is definitely better in shoals).

I would look at those and then get a female mate for your Apisto rather than adding gouramis or something new to the mix.
Well now I have 5 corys and yes they are definitely worth it. I am not going to get a female apisto as panduros don’t get on in forced pairs( I have learnt that from experience) but after the male dies I will try different species (e.g pair of cacutuoides) I just felt that the tank needing a little something at the top, what about a few guppies

Small Tanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
You could increase your barbs to 6 then they will school as well and enjoy the higher parts of the tank.

As for guppies that I can't speak to I've never kept them.

Harvster10

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Small Tanks said:
You could increase your barbs to 6 then they will school as well and enjoy the higher parts of the tank.

As for guppies that I can't speak to I've never kept them.
All my shoals are now 5 or over now

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom