Honey gourami problems

TheFishyboi
HI so I got 2 honey gouramis about a week ago for my 10 gal. They share the tank with 2 zebra danios. I have noticed that the female has a white string like thing on the belly. The gourami has also been at the top of the tank a lot more. is this a parasite?

Thanks

jinjerJOSH22
HI so I got 2 honey gouramis about a week ago for my 10 gal. They share the tank with 2 zebra danios. I have noticed that the female has a white string like thing on the belly. The gourami has also been at the top of the tank a lot more. is this a parasite?

Thanks
A picture will help.
Gourami hanging around the surface doesn't sound too abnormal especially in a small aquarium but can be a sign of stress, illness or poor water quality.
Was the tank cycled? and how long has it been set up?

TheFishyboi
The tank has been set up for 6 months with a betta that passed away 2weeks ago.the tank is cycled and we did a 30 percent water change 2 days ago
IMG_0009.JPG

It’s that weird thing tangled round the taste fin (don’t know what it’s called)

jinjerJOSH22
First thing I should point out is that it's not a Honey Gourami it is in fact a Thick Lipped Gourami. They grow 3-4 inches and a 10 gallon won't be suitable forever.
It does look like something, I don't have experience with worms and what not. PascalKrypt any Idea?

PascalKrypt
Unfortunately as jinjerJOSH22 pointed out, those are not honeys and the tank will soon become a little too cramped for them.

That definitely isn't normal, how long has it been there? It looks rather long and tangled to be poop (especially if it has been hanging there for a while), so parasite is likely. But check to see if it is poop first. If it isn't, try treating with anti-parasite medication. If it is, check your water parameters first and check if the fish is being overly stressed by anything. If not, you may want to treat it with anti-parasite medication anyhow.
(What did the betta die of?)

TheFishyboi
The Betta died of old age. I can't believe that it’s a thicked lip as I got from a trusted shop near me. Are they any different to honeys at all apart from size?

Also the white string has grow. I have never medicated a tank before so any tips

Also is this guy a thick lip gourami as well

IMG_0016.JPG

jinjerJOSH22
The Betta died of old age. I can't believe that it’s a thicked lip as I got from a trusted shop near me. Are they any different to honeys at all apart from size?

Also the white string has grow. I have never medicated a tank before so any tips
It genuinely happens all the time, you were the 3rd person yesterday with a Thick Lipped GouramI
I was the same lol.
Other than size their care is the same, they can be a bit more aggressive but are still social.
Also is this guy a thick lip gourami as well
No, I'm pretty sure that's a nice looking Honey.
You should be able to see the different body shape. Thick Lipped Gourami are longer in the body and have a more gruff look about them. Both would be better with company of their own.

PascalKrypt
Interesting, were those two mixed under the same label? (Note to self: I guess this is where cross-breeds originate)
The first one you posted a picture of is 100% a thick-lipped. Zero doubt.
The second one is 100% a honey. Again, zero doubt. As pointed out above, this mistake happens a lot so by now we are pretty good at telling the difference from other people posting on here

Can you try to very gently bump into the string to see if it falls apart? Don't use any force, just see it fall apart when something comes into contact with it. If it doesn't, get some praziquantel and just follow the instructions. You should treat the whole tank as by now, if it is a parasite, the other fish have been exposed.

TheFishyboi
Yes it falls apart

They were both labelled honey gourami

PascalKrypt
Yes it falls apart

They were both labelled honey gourami
In that case it is just poop, your fish is likely stressed (any of the other fish have white, stringy poop?). Keep an eye on it to see if it is being bullied, check your parameters (do a liquid test) and the temperature.
If everything is in order and the poop hasn't gone back to normal by the end of the week, it could be intestinal parasites and you may have to treat it after all.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
adh/smile
Replies
Views
babykitten
Replies
Views
Breezy2013
Replies
Views