Question Honey Gourami may have DGIV-- if it dies how do I sterilize the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My Honey Gourami lately has been bloated with a distended stomach, pooing stringy white poo, red patches on gills, top of her turning black, having a hard time eating large food, and looking sickly.

I thought it may have had internal parasites, but after treating for a week with Jungle Parasite Clear and seeing it still poo stringy clear/white poo and looking sickly I may have to rule out parasites in favor of iridovirus/dwarf gourami disease.

If the latter is the case then it will definitly die a long with everything else in the tank (two guppies).

How would I go about sterilizing my aquarium for future use? I can't think of a good way to kill viruses without using something that would harm fish afterwards.

thanks!

Last edited:

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishlore, sorry it's under these circumstances.

You can rule out DGIV as it only affects DG's, it does not affect any other gourami species.

I would suggest dropsy and possibly ammonia poisoning.

https://www.fishlore.com/Disease.htm

[edit]
Dwarf gourami iridovirus is apparently specific to the dwarf gourami (Colisa lalia), including the various fancy varieties of the species, such as neon gouramis and sunset gouramis. Infected fish develop a variety of symptoms, including loss of color, decrease in activity and appetite, the appearance of sores and lesions on the body, abdominal swelling and finally death. This fish disease is highly contagious, completely untreatable and invariably fatal.

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi welcome to FishLore
I'm sorry your fish is ill.
I don't think Honeys can get DGIV unless it's cross bred. I'm pretty sure it's limited to dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalia). From what I read, Honeys can be pretty sensitive.

Sounds like internal parasites to me also. Stringy white poo isn't usually a symptom of dgiv.
Have you tried using a medicated food? Getting medicine directly inside him might help.

If by chance he does have dgiv, it's a viral infection. I had been advised that the only way to try and prevent another DG from getting it is to not add another to the tank for at least 6 months.

I hope it won't happen, but if you do lose your fish, this is what I do to sterilize it. Fill the tank with 19 parts water to 1 part bleach, let it set for a while. Rinse until you can't smell any more bleach. Fill again and OD with dechlorinator. Let it sit. Empty it, then you should be good to go.

Best of luck!

Edit: ryan lol

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore, sorry it's under these circumstances.

You can rule out DGIV as it only affects DG's, it does not affect any other gourami species.

I would suggest dropsy and possibly ammonia poisoning.

https://www.fishlore.com/Disease.htm

[edit]
"Dwarf gourami iridovirus is apparently specific to the dwarf gourami (Colisa lalia), including the various fancy varieties of the species, such as neon gouramis and sunset gouramis."

Sunsets and Honeys in most cases are the same thing. I believe.

I hope it IS parasites, though vesus a virus. The water parameters are fine. He did start to eat again after I treated with Jungle Parasite Clear. I haven't tried any mouthfed food, but I'm going to get some mouthfed Metro tomorrow. The good news is that he is eating a little bit now and that he doesn't hide all the time anymore and explores his tank all day.

Its a shame, though. I love my little honey. He's a sweet heart and loves to touch the guppies with his little feelers and it so cute.

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know many scientific names, but with Honeys, Sunset, Dwarfs, etc knowing the scientic name they were sold under is important.
A true Honey is Trichogaster chuna or Colisa chuna and the dwarf is Colisa lalia.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ooohh, nearly by Lucy

+1 on the species.

I am yet to hear of DGIV infecting any species outside of c. lalia
My DG became very timid and dis-interested in food, but didn't show any other symptoms.

Great to hear he's eating again, another sign that it's not DGIV. There is no cure for DGIV, and there are no reports of a DG surviving once infected

You could also try soaking the food in some garlic juice (or Garlic Guard) to increase his appetite and interest in food.

For mods/Mike: Can we get DGIV added to the FW disease page?

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for all of the prompt resposnes! Any advice on getting this guy to eating medicated food? He's very shy and I don't know that he would from hand/toothpick.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Soak the food in garlic juice (or Garlic Guard). It increases the appeal of food, and is also great for his immune system.

Does he have tank mates? If not, you could put the food on a toothpick or similar, and leave the room, and come back in about 30mins. Sometimes, if the fish isn't feeling too well, it doesn't want to 'perform' while being watched.

If he doesn't eat straight away, leave the food for a few hours, he may decide to eat later.

Another thing that might help is to cut/break the food into tiny pieces, still soak in garlic juice. He might find it easier to nibble on little bits of food rather than larger ones ???

You could also try using a turkey baster to target feed him.

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Where can I get garlic juice for fish?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe many just use Minced Garlic in jars available from your supermarket.

Make sure it is water based not oil based.

Search these forums for garlic juice, you'll find lots of 'recipes'/approachs

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What exactly does the garlic do for fish?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Garlic has two effects;-
1) It acts as a flavour enhancer, and can help entice finicky eaters to eat.
2) As with humans, garlic helps increase the immune system in fish.

Garlic has often been used while treating fish with ICH, velvet and other disease. It is not yet known whether the garlic helps to kill off the disease, or whether it acts as an immune booster to assist the fish in fighting off the infection/disease.

from: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/some-meds-that-have-saved-my-fish.24033/
Garlic Guard- * For fresh and saltwater fish, planted and reef aquariums
* Contains allicin, the active ingredient in garlic
* Contains Vitamin C for enhanced health benefits

Whet your fishes' appetite with the natural healthful properties of garlic. Contains allicin, the active ingredient in garlic with powerful antioxidant properties that can lessen free radical damage to cells - plus Vitamin C for enhanced health benefits. For fresh and saltwater fish, planted and reef aquariums. (Dr Foster & Smith)
and this page by Shawnie may also help: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/minced-garlic-in-a-jar-just-an-example-for-those-needing-it.62705/

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Really? Thats so strange they like the flavor of garlic... I mean... not much in the sea tastes like it I don't think.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Really? Thats so strange they like the flavor of garlic... I mean... not much in the sea tastes like it I don't think.
well when you've got a freshwater setup it probably doesn't matter what's in the sea

There are apparently many flavours in the wild.

As an fyi: bristlenose catfish love blanched zucchini, and I'm tipping they don't find too much of that in the wild

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got some garlic and medicated food and I'll servin' it up Emril style. I don't think my gourami is a fan though. I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know many scientific names, but with Honeys, Sunset, Dwarfs, etc knowing the scientic name they were sold under is important.
A true Honey is Trichogaster chuna or Colisa chuna and the dwarf is Colisa lalia.
Petsmart sells a Honey Sunset Gourami under the scientific name of Colisa Sota, which is a synonym for Colisa Chuna. Though to me the Sotas look different than the Chunas. But as long as it's not Colisa Lalia, they are not supposed to be affected by DGIV.

-Lisa

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks. I guess I can rule out DGIV which is AWESOME! and saves me and my gourami a lot of trouble.

So far my guppies are the ones I see eating the medicated food that I know of. Is this bad if they are eating it? My Honey (Sashimi) might be digging in while i'm gone. She doesn't like to eat while people are watching. So that might the case. Any idea how much of/how many pellets she has to eat for the medication to be effective?

Anywho, she's looking a lot better and has been extremly active today. I see her eat her regular flakes frequently which is a great sign. The clear long stringy poo is still present, though.

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Additional Question: Are the white stringy poos the actual parasites/worms?

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So far he's not eating the food any way I fashion it, he just puts it in his mouth and spits it back out. Is this enough to get the medication in his system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom