Honey Gourami Male Or Female?

Jdaisy44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've been pining for a Honey Gourami ever since I learned about them on Youtube. But after 4 fruitless trips to 4 different stores I gave up the search. Then while buying other things I stumbled upon these guys (at my own local fish store!). I tried to play it cool so they wouldn't charge me an arm and a leg for them, but there was no way I could contain my excitement (I looked like this > )

These guys are so stinkin' cute, and so very small! I know they can pass unexpectedly but I hope to always have Honeys in my tanks. It's just finding them that's the hard part!

Back to the topic, I really can't tell if they're male and female, or two males. Here they are:

ick6fja.jpg

Mango is on the left, and I'm pretty sure male since he chases the other Honey Gourami endlessly, and he's recently been trying to build a bubble nest (except he keeps blowing the bubbles into the glass where they pop instantly instead of at the numerous floating plants all around him :rolleyes

Pineapple is the one on the right. He/she shows black on the chin and a little bit on the belly. Pineapple is also a lighter yellow color compared to Mango.

They both have the same shaped fins, so I'm really not sure.

Does anyone have any guesses? Thanks.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They both appear to be males, if I were to base it on the shape of the dorsal fin. Check out my male Honey in my avatar: same pointed fin. Also, if I recall, it's the males who get the dark brown color splotches. I could be wrong though, so I'd double check and look it up.

I find them to be very hardy. I have mine for well over a year now. I think the sudden passing you're talking about is actually commonly attributed to Dwarf Gouramies, which are a completely different species. It has something to do with a virus (Irudovirus?)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congratulations on finding them! They look great with their colors! I am of the same opinion. I have wild type honeys. Their top fins, to me, are indicating that you have two males. My male is super territorial so maybe watch out for that

And I was also told honey gouramis don't go down with dwarf gourami disease, but keep an eye on parasites. Recently it seemed like all these poor guy were going down with most likely parasites

Also check the flow of the filter, my gourami does his bubble nest in a corner of the tank just in the glass, but the flow of the water was constantly ruining it for him. Ho desnt necessarily need plants for the nest, even though they definitelly help

Just to add to that, maybe try to get a picture of the one on the right when it it not 'flexed' .... if that has sense

Attachments

Jdaisy44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
scarface said:
They both appear to be males, if I were to base it on the shape of the dorsal fin. Check out my male Honey in my avatar: same pointed fin. Also, if I recall, it's the males who get the dark brown color splotches. I could be wrong though, so I'd double check and look it up.

I find them to be very hardy. I have mine for well over a year now. I think the sudden passing you're talking about is actually commonly attributed to Dwarf Gouramies, which are a completely different species. It has something to do with a virus (Irudovirus?)
I think I have to agree with you guys that they're both males. I just wasn't too sure about Pineapple since he's lighter and didn't have too much blue on the chin. Internet posts seem to say the blue chin/body is specific to males, so that seals it.

Back in December I made a post in the stocking forum and learned that any Gourami can be susceptible to Iridovirus. But Honeys maybe less so because they haven't been as over-bred as the Dwarfs. They spent 1 month in quarantine and have been in the main tank for an additional 2 months, so I'm hopeful we're in the clear.
Katarina said:
Congratulations on finding them! They look great with their colors! I am of the same opinion. I have wild type honeys. Their top fins, to me, are indicating that you have two males. My male is super territorial so maybe watch out for that

And I was also told honey gouramis don't go down with dwarf gourami disease, but keep an eye on parasites. Recently it seemed like all these poor guy were going down with most likely parasites
Mango is definitely the aggressor. He instigates a lot of the staring contests. But they're in a 55 gallon so by the time they swim the length of the tank they've lost sight of each other and gotten distracted by something else. They set up territories on each end of the tank and so far they've been pretty civil.
Katarina said:
Also check the flow of the filter, my gourami does his bubble nest in a corner of the tank just in the glass, but the flow of the water was constantly ruining it for him. Ho desnt necessarily need plants for the nest, even though they definitelly help
Just to add to that, maybe try to get a picture of the one on the right when it it not 'flexed' .... if that has sense
Whoah, that's a ton of bubbles! Your guy did a great job. Have you been able to breed them? Mine only tries for a couple of minutes and then moves along. I may baffle the filter in the future since I plan on getting an angelfish, but I was concerned about water circulation in the tank, so for now I just have floating plants strategically placed to break up the flow. Given that they're both males, do you think he would become stressed if he's not able to make a bubble nest?

This is the clearest picture of Pineapple's fins I could get:
XXWSpH1.jpg

And I took a short video of them since they were being cute. This is how their "fights" usually go:

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, i also found out I have one female and two males. And it is only the dominant male that is showing off his full copies. That’s why I think your Mango might never develop the blue chin. He would be afraid.

The spawned first time a month after I got them and I managed to save only fry lol ... the female had a go inbthe bubblenest during feeding and ate all eggs. So now I have one three weeks old fry

Attachments

Jdaisy44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Katarina said:
Well, i also found out I have one female and two males. And it is only the dominant male that is showing off his full copies. That’s why I think your Mango might never develop the blue chin. He would be afraid.

The spawned first time a month after I got them and I managed to save only fry lol ... the female had a go inbthe bubblenest during feeding and ate all eggs. So now I have one three weeks old fry
I think I see it! That is so cool. Best of luck with your little one.

I visited a distant fish store today because I called and they said they had angelfish in stock. Their tanks were a bit iffy but I picked out the best looking Marbled Angelfish I could find. My first try at keeping an Angelfish so I'm hoping he survives quarantine.

Also while I was there I saw they had what they labeled as "Red Honey Gourami"
They might be Thicklipped Gourami since they're a good size and a lot beefier looking. I bought two, and I tried my best to select the ones with rounded dorsal fins, but it was so very hard to tell.

Not my picture, but I found this on the internet. Mine look exactly like these:
nnNsdJp.png

Once they're settled in I'll try and get a picture of them.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jdaisy44 said:
I think I see it! That is so cool. Best of luck with your little one.

I visited a distant fish store today because I called and they said they had angelfish in stock. Their tanks were a bit iffy but I picked out the best looking Marbled Angelfish I could find. My first try at keeping an Angelfish so I'm hoping he survives quarantine.

Also while I was there I saw they had what they labeled as "Red Honey Gourami"
They might be Thicklipped Gourami since they're a good size and a lot beefier looking. I bought two, and I tried my best to select the ones with rounded dorsal fins, but it was so very hard to tell.

Not my picture, but I found this on the internet. Mine look exactly like these:
View attachment 433975

Once they're settled in I'll try and get a picture of them.
Wow those have some nice colors I am also researching all the bigger beautiful dickens which I know I cannot Have at the moment yet... but I would also love to care for an angelfish one day. My dream tank would have a seahorse lol

I hope your fishes will be fine!! Send some pictures once they settle in

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom