Honey Gourami Male or Female? ID help

Bruinfishkeeper1

Hey guys,
I currently have two Honey Gouramis and I bought them from my LFS. I'm pretty sure they are juvenile. Anyways I wanted to know the gender of these two. I think I might have a male female pair. One of them has it's array of dorsal fins and anal/pectoral a fray outwards and has a pretty deep and intense orange color. This same fish has a light yellow coloring that's maybe slightly darker then the other, and also has a faint yet noticable black stripe running across it's body. I think this one is the male. The other one is light yellow in color and doesn't have a black stripe, or a intense orange colored fins. This one I think is the female. During feeding they are never aggressive to each other (in fact they've never been aggressive to each other). They kinda just leave each other alone during the day and sometimes follow each other around. During night time Im pretty sure they mostly sleep at the bottom-mid and they sleep fairly close to each other and pretty much with each other.

One more question. As for those white flowy stick shaped things on either side of the gouramis body that is located underneath their eyes(ish) (I have no clue what they are called), do those signify the age of the gourami. My current honey Gouramis barely even have these things.

PS: For the people in a previous thread where I asked about putting two Honey Gouramis in a 10 G, these Honey Gouramis are not in that 10 G. I respected your opinion and thought it was well thought out!

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, well it sounds like you’re describing a male and female but we’d need to see photos to really make a judgement.
The ventral fins will grow as they age but I don’t know how well you could use them to age a fish, I imagine not very. I think Honeys have smaller ones in general.

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Hi, well it sounds like you’re describing a male and female but we’d need to see photos to really make a judgement.
The ventral fins will grow as they age but I don’t know how well you could use them to age a fish, I imagine not very. I think Honeys have smaller ones in general.
Hi, sorry I totally forgot to even think about photos my bad! I'll be able to provide some a bit later on when the tank lights turn on and such. At least I know it's Ventral Fins and not White stick like figures lol.

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Ok hey there sorry for replying so late! For some reason it didn't let me upload the pictures so guess I cant provide them. Also i noticed today that they were following each other more, and that at one point they were circling each other almost like wrapping around each other. Is this mating behavior?

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Ok hey there sorry for replying so late! For some reason it didn't let me upload the pictures so guess I cant provide them. Also i noticed today that they were following each other more, and that at one point they were circling each other almost like wrapping around each other. Is this mating behavior?
Hmmmn it’s hard to say without seeing it but if they were “wrapping” there should be a bubble nest, I don’t think they would without one. The circling sounds more like a dominance display.

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Hmmmn it’s hard to say without seeing it but if they were “wrapping” there should be a bubble nest, I don’t think they would without one. The circling sounds more like a dominance display.
Sorry for replying so late. So its been a couple days and ive seen more of this dominating wrap thing. Not really a color change in both of them. Although at night when the lights turn off they become all buddy buddy. Even during the day when they cross paths they dont really mind each other. Do males and females show dominance over each other?

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Sorry for replying so late. So its been a couple days and ive seen more of this dominating wrap thing. Not really a color change in both of them. Although at night when the lights turn off they become all buddy buddy. Even during the day when they cross paths they dont really mind each other. Do males and females show dominance over each other?
They do, though it's more likely between two males.

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

They do, though it's more likely between two males.
Ok sounds good! I know honey Gourami males can sometimes leave each other alone. Im going to let them mature and see if it is a male and a female. If it is a nasty fight type thing between a male and a male then ill probably have to return him

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Ok sounds good! I know honey Gourami males can sometimes leave each other alone. Im going to let them mature and see if it is a male and a female. If it is a nasty fight type thing between a male and a male then ill probably have to return him
And placing a pic an option?

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Supposedly the Female:

IMG_20210217_103245597.jpg

IMG_20210217_103158773.jpg

Supposedly the male:

IMG_20210217_103612528.jpg

IMG_20210217_103618412.jpg

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies