Honey Gourami Is Sick Anyone Know What It Is?

Skink123

So a few days ago I noticed my honey gourami acting strange, he was much more pale than usual and more lethargic only hanging out at the bottom in one corner. I have no idea what this could be. I have had him for about 2 years and until a few weeks ago he was in a 10 gallon but I moved him into a 20 gallon, nitrite and ammonia are both 0, the nitrate is kinda high at around 40 ppm, this is the only problem I can think of. The temp was around 75 but I thought since he was pale maybe he was cold so I turned it up a bit its now around 77-79

image_2022-01-20_181731.png
here is a picture
one more thing near his face and eyes you there are some light pinkish red markings so small they dont show in the picture and near his gills he has some really tiny blackish "debris" also too small for the camera, i have know idea what it is or if it is even relevant.

jinjerJOSH22

Hi could you fill in this emergency template?
I have had him for about 2 years and until a few weeks ago he was in a 10 gallon but I moved him into a 20 gallon
Could you post a picture of both tanks? The answer could be in the difference between the two.
the nitrate is kinda high at around 40 ppm
This would likely only be the problem if it was much different from the 10 gallon he was in.
near his gills he has some really tiny blackish "debris" also too small for the camera, i have know idea what it is or if it is even relevant.
This sounds like part of his breeding dress, so no worries there.

Skink123

Could you post a picture of both tanks? The answer could be in the difference between the two.

This would likely only be the problem if it was much different from the 10 gallon he was in.

I don't have a picture from the old tank I already took it apart but the main difference was the size and I used gravel in old tank now I use sand.

I'm not sure but wouldn't breeding mean getting more colorful and active?

here is his current tank

vsergbhaerw.jpg

jinjerJOSH22

don't have a picture from the old tank I already took it apart but the main difference was the size and I used gravel in old tank now I use sand.
What I was aiming at here is the difference in substrate colour. Bright sand is known to dull the colours of fish.
Doesn’t look like he has much cover, Honey’s are better suited to heavily planted setup’s, couple this with them being social.
It also looks to have a lot of flow? This can cause issues in Gourami tanks.
I'm not sure but wouldn't breeding mean getting more colorful and active?
Yes, although some aspects of the colour can still come through.

Skink123

What I was aiming at here is the difference in substrate colour. Bright sand is known to dull the colours of fish.
Doesn’t look like he has much cover, Honey’s are better suited to heavily planted setup’s, couple this with them being social.
It also looks to have a lot of flow? This can cause issues in Gourami tanks.

Yes, although some aspects of the colour can still come through.
Ok well I'll add more plants and some floating ones, I don't know how I can decrease the flow, is there any way to do this without getting a whole new filter?

jinjerJOSH22

Ok well I'll add more plants and some floating ones, I don't know how I can decrease the flow, is there any way to do this without getting a whole new filter?
Attaching a sponge to the outlet is often a good way of doing so. You could also turn the outlet to face the side of the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Skink123
Replies
Views
PascalKrypt
Replies
Views
Mii
Replies
Views