Honey Gourami In Uncycled Tank?

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello , long story short: I had my male gourami in a separate tank from others but then I put them together because I needed the tank to quarantine a fish. After I observed the quarantined fish for couple of days and it did not have any signs of parasites anymore so I put it back to main tank. I forgot about my male gourami in the big tank. I turned off the filter without thinking about it lol ... the next day (today) I realized my mistake... the male is giving rough time to the female(s) and other fish respect him out of fear too. I wouldn't like to keep him in there until I cycle the small tank again.

I would use water from the big tank when I do water change next week and I would also try running the filter in the bigger tank for like a week. My questions are now:

- I suppose all my bacteria in the small tank's filter are dead by now? (I did turn the filter back on after 24h like right now, just until I ask you what to do)
- If the bacteria in the filter is dead, is it safe to just start running it in the main tank, or should I rinse it or put new sponge in it? (Only sponge filter) Can dead bacteria hurt my fishes? If yes, I suppose I should clean the whole tank and the stones? Can I cut piece of my main tank's sponge and use it ?
- Would honey gourami be ok in cycling tank? Does his labyrinth breathing has anything to help here? He is super active healthy looking fish. (I did not have live plants in it while using for quarantine, but I would put some in)
- Would a nerite snail be ok in cycling tank?

I am sorry for the long post, I really feel stupid for not realizing what mistake I was doing yesterday. Thank you ahead for some advices.

Dreypa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Barely any bacteria resides in the water column, moving dirty water to another tank is just that. Moving dirty water.

I would reckon a good portion died off in the 24 hour period of no new ammonia source being introduced to it. However 24 hours won't entirely deplete a healthy bacteria colony. I would think at most you would go through a mini-cycle. This mainly applies to external filters such as Hobs , canisters and sumps etc. Sponge filter if submerssed the entire time it was unplugged probably didnt loose a significant amount of its colony as it was still in contact with the source.

I wouldn't do a heavy cleaning as it will surely disrupt the remaining bacteria and cause a mini-cycle.
Adding a piece of thoroughly cycled material can help so long as it wouldn't jeopardize the previous tank.
Dead bacteria can contribute to an algae / bacteria bloom (cloudy water).

As far as honey gourami for cycling , I am not sure, nerite snail would probably survive if its truely cycling they seem to be impossible to kill.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dreypa said:
Barely any bacteria resides in the water column, moving dirty water to another tank is just that. Moving dirty water.

I would reckon a good portion died off in the 24 hour period of no new ammonia source being introduced to it. However 24 hours won't entirely deplete a healthy bacteria colony. I would think at most you would go through a mini-cycle. This mainly applies to external filters such as Hobs , canisters and sumps etc. Sponge filter if submerssed the entire time it was unplugged probably didnt loose a significant amount of its colony as it was still in contact with the source.

I wouldn't do a heavy cleaning as it will surely disrupt the remaining bacteria and cause a mini-cycle.
Adding a piece of thoroughly cycled material can help so long as it wouldn't jeopardize the previous tank.
Dead bacteria can contribute to an algae / bacteria bloom (cloudy water).

As far as honey gourami for cycling , I am not sure, nerite snail would probably survive if its truely cycling they seem to be impossible to kill.
Thank you for your reply! I did think there had to be at least some good bacteria in the 'dirty water' which could help the sponge to grow back the bacteria. So now I know it is insignificant. The filter is a small canister with sponge in it, cycling water through it inside the tank. So it was not cut off from the tank water as turned off canister filter would be. But thats what I was also not sure about whether it would give it bigger chance to survive it would 'dilute' the bacteria in the whole aquarium and kill it quickly (there goes my imagination lol). And to be honest I believe I have tendency to overfeed fishes so maybe there was some leftover source of amonia. I will have it running and 'feed it' for a week and test it. And since snails should handle it I will move them there to create some waste. I hope it will be just a mini cycle.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nerites are sensitive to water quality, so I wouldn't add them to your tank while cycling.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
Nerites are sensitive to water quality, so I wouldn't add them to your tank while cycling.
Oh ok, thank you!

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think your bacteria is still good in the sponge.

If this was my issue, I would put my hardiest fish in the quarantine tank and test for ammonia and nitrites in a day. I believe you will be 0, 0, whatever nitrates are present.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hunter1 said:
I think your bacteria is still good in the sponge.

If this was my issue, I would put my hardiest fish in the quarantine tank and test for ammonia and nitrites in a day. I believe you will be 0, 0, whatever nitrates are present.
Thank you, I will do that and hope for the best

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom