Honey Gourami help requested

Jrhodes76

I have 2 questions about my Honey Gouramis because 2 of them have become injured (one may be sick, but not sure-that’s the 2nd question) since switching the tanks they live in.

I have 5 total, 4 males and a female (not by choice, it was an unsexed online order of 6- 1 didn’t grow and ended up passing). I got them in December as juveniles and they have been in a 36 gallon with harlequin rasboras, cardinal tetras, shrimp and snails. They recently started showing spawning activity (bubble nests, trying to mate with the female, etc) maybe a month before I switched tanks. At that point they did a lot of chasing of each other but never hurt each other that I saw.

I switched them to my 125 gallon 4 weeks ago. It houses 6 angelfish, 6 German blue rams and I added the cardinal tetras and harlequin rasboras at the same time (trying to condense so I can use the 36 as a breeding tank if I decide to do that…or just an extra one if needed). Literally 1 day in that tank and honey #1 has bites taken out of his tail. After about 4-5 days, majority of his tail is gone. He’s back in the 36 gallon and his tail is growing back nicely. We went on vacation for a week and when I came back honey #2, also male now has a red mouth, he was staying at the surface in the middle of the tank (not like them…they like corners), I can’t tell if it’s his lips or inside his mouth but it’s very obviously red. He is also clamping the fins on the sides of his body. I don’t know if he’s injured or sick, I can’t find anything online so he’s in a hospital tank being treated with erythromycin and general cure. He wasn’t eating since we got home on Saturday and he ate a little this morning so that’s a good sign.

Question 1) Who do you think is hurting these honey gouramis? The other honeys, the angels, or the rams? There is one honey that is obsessed with his bubble nest and will chase everyone away when they get close, including the female, oddly enough. I have not seen him or anyone else in the tank do anything to injure any of the other fish. The fin nipping of the first honey began in the center of his tail so it looked like a “U” so I’m leaning towards a smaller mouth but I dont know. Just odd it happened immediately after going in the big tank.

Question 2) Anyone have an idea of what is going on with Honey #2? Do you think he was bullied/injured or has some illness? I can’t find anything online for what it might be. My water parameters are very good, I do water changes at least once a week if not twice a week since I have the rams (very fragile fish with water quality) and the rams are thriving so I know it isn’t any kind of ammonia burn or something with the water. The day we went on vacation I did a 30% water change and we got home a week and a day later and I made sure my house sitter fed them one a day, rather than 2 as usual and the food was all pre-measured out to keep the water cleaner. Everyone looked great when I got home except thguy.

Any help would be appreciated. I’m debating on if I should move the honeys back to the 36 or if they are just in full blown maturity now and being little jerks to each other. I just thought in the 125 they have so much more room…

i added some photos. Honey # 2 used to look honey #1 and has lost all his orange color. The lights are on in the quarantine tank so pardon the colored splotches in the water. In these photos it almost looks like he has a lesion on his head but I think it’s inside his body…like his brain or something. It doesn’t look odd in person.

Attachments

• 0C0935C2-B703-4536-92B4-4FD1E8A8F58A.jpeg
    0C0935C2-B703-4536-92B4-4FD1E8A8F58A.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 4B4B9E7F-8D3C-40E1-8313-2D9788C81337.jpeg
    4B4B9E7F-8D3C-40E1-8313-2D9788C81337.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 7
  • BEC36F76-0BFA-433E-A079-556BCB0CA002.jpeg
    BEC36F76-0BFA-433E-A079-556BCB0CA002.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 7

jinjerJOSH22

Any help would be appreciated. I’m debating on if I should move the honeys back to the 36 or if they are just in full blown maturity now and being little jerks to each other. I just thought in the 125 they have so much more room…
Hi, personally I would give them the 36 gallon, this is adequate space for a group and I always recommend when keeping Honeys not to keep anything bigger than them or anything overly boisterous.
Question 1) Who do you think is hurting these honey gouramis? The other honeys, the angels, or the rams? There is one honey that is obsessed with his bubble nest and will chase everyone away when they get close, including the female, oddly enough. I have not seen him or anyone else in the tank do anything to injure any of the other fish. The fin nipping of the first honey began in the center of his tail so it looked like a “U” so I’m leaning towards a smaller mouth but I dont know. Just odd it happened immediately after going in the big tank.
My money would be on one of the Cichlids.
There is one honey that is obsessed with his bubble nest and will chase everyone away when they get close, including the female, oddly enough.
If he isn't ready or if there are eggs males will chase females away as she poses a threat to the eggs/fry. Typically only the males show paternal care.
Question 2) Anyone have an idea of what is going on with Honey #2? Do you think he was bullied/injured or has some illness? I can’t find anything online for what it might be. My water parameters are very good, I do water changes at least once a week if not twice a week since I have the rams (very fragile fish with water quality) and the rams are thriving so I know it isn’t any kind of ammonia burn or something with the water. The day we went on vacation I did a 30% water change and we got home a week and a day later and I made sure my house sitter fed them one a day, rather than 2 as usual and the food was all pre-measured out to keep the water cleaner. Everyone looked great when I got home except thguy.
Likely the same as the first one, or the stress could of led to something more.

Could you post pictures of all the Gourami? and the 36 gallon aquarium?

Jrhodes76

Hi, personally I would give them the 36 gallon, this is adequate space for a group and I always recommend when keeping Honeys not to keep anything bigger than them or anything overly boisterous.

My money would be on one of the Cichlids.

If he isn't ready or if there are eggs males will chase females away as she poses a threat to the eggs/fry. Typically only the males show paternal care.

Likely the same as the first one, or the stress could of led to something more.

Could you post pictures of all the Gourami? and the 36 gallon aquarium?
Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it! Here are the other 3. The middle one is the female. I took a lot of the plants out of the 36 gallon because it only was housing shrimp, then I got more cardinal tetras and they are growing out before going in the 125. It sounds like the general consensus is to put them back in the 36 gallon. I mean they seemed happy in there, I just figured they would be happier in a bigger aquarium. I will probably just put them back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 10

Jrhodes76

Update: He now has a red lesion on his one side. He’s not eating. I am not 100% sure but I feel like it might be columnaris. What do you think? I’ve only had experience with hole in the head disease in my rams so although I research a lot I’ve thankfully not treated much. My other fish have been healthy for the most part. I am not sure how this one fish would get something if my water quality is good and the other fish are healthy? Stress maybe?

Just to be sure it’s not ammonia burn from the meds in the quarantine tank I did check the parameters and I do have .25 ammonia 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates. I am doing a water change and dose 2 of Kanaplex today.

Do you think it’s columnaris or something else? His mouth is no longer red but he has that red spot on his side now and it looks raised or like his skin is peeling there or something. Any idea how to treat it? I’ve done 1 dose of Kanaplex in the water so far (and also the 1 complete round of erythromycin and General Cure together) and due for dose 2 this morning. Any other ideas? I feel so bad for continuing medications but what I’m using isn’t working and he hasn’t eaten in a couple of days.

He is also having a hard time keeping his body straight when swimming almost like his tail wants to flip over on its side but he is able to keep it from doing so, he just looks a little wobbly. He has had this from the day I moved him, I thought maybe he was just weak or injured at first.

Also…I just put one of my german blue rams in quarantine on Thursday night for a very swollen belly. Aside from that, she is acting normal, she has just lost some color but she came from the same tank as this guy. She is eating the Kanaplex/Metroplex medicated food and does look to be slimming down slightly.

Thank you for any help!!

Attachments

• FB70DDB5-ECBA-4EC7-BB66-9584F3419DD8.jpeg
    FB70DDB5-ECBA-4EC7-BB66-9584F3419DD8.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 56EE42C2-28F5-42DA-ACE4-704071852B4C.jpeg
    56EE42C2-28F5-42DA-ACE4-704071852B4C.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 4
  • 5B251EBA-0192-4109-A5FB-D8CF2F181226.jpeg
    5B251EBA-0192-4109-A5FB-D8CF2F181226.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 4

MacZ

jinjerJOSH22 may correct me, but this looks like gourami iridovirus. There's no known treatment for that.

Jrhodes76

jinjerJOSH22 may correct me, but this looks like gourami iridovirus. There's no known treatment for that.
Oh no
I just checked the symptoms and it does sound like you may be right. He hasn’t bloated yet but it sounds like that may be the last symptom before death. I didn’t think honey gouramis we’re as susceptible to dwarf gourami disease as other dwarf gouramis. I hope it’s not that but you are right, it does seem like it is based on his symptoms.

MacZ

The dropsy symptom usually comes with secondary bacterial infections, not from the virus itself. It may not come at all.
I just wrote in another thread today that basically all labyrinth fish are vulnerable. Trichogaster and Trichopodus species for sure are the most affected.
Dwarf gourami are just the first fish it was found in and the main vector in the trade.

jinjerJOSH22

Dwarf gourami are just the first fish it was found in and the main vector in the trade.
From what I understand it shows up more with Dwarf Gourami because they are so overly bred, their genetics are a mess along with their immune systems. Other Gourami can have it but it doesn't often have much of an effect unless their immune system is already strained i.e. stress weakening the immune system from bad water chemistry, bad tank mates etc... Healthy Gourami can have it without showing any symptoms.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SecondTime
Replies
Views
NKRatcliffe
Replies
Views
Hellfishguy
Replies
Views