Honey Gourami Genetics

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have no clue, but I’m not sure there is a red variety of Honey gouramie. I think those are just Thicklip gouramie which look very similar, though I could be wrong.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Multiple species share similar common names. From my understanding, theres no colour morphs of the Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna).

However for the Thicklip (many also call them honey gouramies as well... and they not wrong!), Trichogaster labiosa I believe the wild coloured morph is the dominant. But its worthy to see and do a mini experiment!

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
scarface said:
I have no clue, but I’m not sure there is a red variety of Honey gouramie. I think those are just Thicklip gouramie which look very similar, though I could be wrong.
There is a red variety.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Trichogaster chuna does have a Gold variety, it's been around for decades. It is a simple recessive, so it breeds true. It seems to be more prevalent today than the normal (wild type) coloration.

I have seen pictures of very red fish with rather large finnage, they appear to be bred back to chuna from the hybrids with labiosa that bacame the Sunset Thick Lips. However, I do not have any additional information, so I am simply going on their appearance. There is a lot of confusion with the Sunset Thick Lip involved.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can't comment on the genetics, but one of the big differences I've seen in all the red honey gouramis I've seen is the red color is absent from most of the finnage. Ie in the gold honey gourami, the body is yellow, and the finnage is yellow. But in the reds, the body is red but finnage is clear. It's one of the reasons I prefer the gold and wild types.
Are you asking because you're interested in mixing the types and you want to know what to expect in terms out outcomes?

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bitseriously said:
I can't comment on the genetics, but one of the big differences I've seen in all the red honey gouramis I've seen is the red color is absent from most of the finnage. Ie in the gold honey gourami, the body is yellow, and the finnage is yellow. But in the reds, the body is red but finnage is clear. It's one of the reasons I prefer the gold and wild types.
Are you asking because you're interested in mixing the types and you want to know what to expect in terms out outcomes?
Yep.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom