Honey Gourami Colors? Question

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by jenmur, Apr 14, 2018.

1. jenmur

jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

So everywhere I go I see solid gold/yellow Honey Gourami. I have seen pictures online of Honey Gourami that are light yellow to dark orange except for a blue black area from nose to tail. I was also told these are breeding colors on the male and not all the time. My LFS owner, Aaron says he does occasionally get those in. Is it worth the wait?

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

If it's same fish just little bit different colorations it's totally up to you and what you want.

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

4. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

The wild form males get their breeding colours when they are happy and a female is present in my experience.

There are also gold and red forms available in my area.

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

My honey gourami is yellow, with orange fins.
    I have seen other with black tipped fins, or a darker colored orange.

It all depends on the fish, but mostly you don't see the original coloration like in the wild.

6. OP
    OP
    jenmur

@appcontrol. Ah ok. I was just wondering if it was worth the wait.

@DoubleDutch. My LFS says they have gotten them in occasionally

@Redshark1. Yeah, Aaron said they didn’t keep those bright colors. I haven’t seen the red at this store before, but I have at another.

@Fanatic I see a lot of yellow/gold ones of varying shades. I’m just wondering if it’s worth the wait to try and get the wild type

7. DoubleDutch

Don't.mix them up with "honey" thick lips

8. OP
    OP
    jenmur

Oh no. Thick lips while another one I considered, look totally different than Honeys. I do like seeing them though.

9. DoubleDutch

Yeah but the hybrids are sold as "honeys"

10. OP
    OP
    jenmur

Oh I haven’t seen hybrids of those two before. But makes sense it could happen and someone would try

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice