Honey Gourami...choking?

1. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Ok so I dont really think she is choking but a female honey gourami got startled by me it seemed like and it starting rapidly spitting or blowing air out a bunch of times is rapid succession. It wasnt at the surface so she wasnt gulping air and it was really strange and quick. Anyone seen this before?

2. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

It's been a while since you posted this. How is she now?
    Maybe she swallowed some air before you started watching her.
    Or, did she eat something that could have made her gassy? I know peas can cause gas in fish.

3. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

She seems fine! It was just a very bizarre almost spasm like occurrence. It hasn't happened before or again. Not sure what it was...it was almost like she was trying to blow a bubble nest but she wasnt at the surface and she isnt a he so bubble nest blowing doesnt make sense lol. They were just eating algae sheets like they always do nothing new there!

4. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

I'm glad she's ok.
    Sometimes fish just have funny little quarks.
    One of my goldies used to like to sleep with a pebble in his mouth. It was funny. As soon as the light would switch on in the morning, like a lever-action, his dorsal fin would pop up and the pebble would pop out of his mouth. That is how he would wake up.

5. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

Lol!!! That is too funny...it was his comfort object...