Honey Gourami changing color (and some weird feeding behavior)

renthus
Honey Gourami changing color

So I got a honey gourami for my 12g last week. It's had questionable coloration since then. A few things are jumping out at me:

1) Its tail and its underside close to the tail are orange/red. I'm not entirely sure if this is normal (I'm useless). I had originally gotten a blue/green/yellow/red gourami from the same tank, but then returned it a few hours later when I did some research and found out it was dyed the bad way. Is this red just fine and normal?

2) There's a bunch of black spots developing around its head. It seems to be more prevalent every day. I would think that this is just part of developing breeding colors, but do those appear when there aren't any other gouramis around? Also, there's a single brown spot on its upper back on one side.

3) Its gill area looks really orange/red.

What's the deal? Is this normal, or do I have something serious to worry about? I'd take pictures (since I clearly explained this poorly), but despite my best efforts I can't get a good picture with him in the tank... he's camera shy. I could net him and take a quick picture like that, but I'd rather avoid that if I can, just to spare him the stress.

By the way, he's also eating sorta weirdly. He's eating, but he seems to chew them spit out a whole bunch of flake pieces. He's not eating a whole lot, but he does chase flakes. I think what I'm going to try doing is turning off the filter while I feed him. The only problem is, the filter helps push some flakes down to the bottom for the loaches. I'll figure something out, I guess.

EDIT: Tried turning off the pump so it would just wait for him at the top. He actually won't even move unless the pump is on. I'm getting a little more worried... he's hanging around the bottom a bit more and isn't swimming around as much.

Advertisement
Nikita
Welcome to Fishlore!

1) The coloration is normal. They are usually a very vibrant Orange/Red once adapted to the tank and happy/healthy.

2) The black spots are normal and not harmful from my experience. I've had one with some black spots on it's face but I've also had one that it's face turned fully black. It must be apart of their coloring.

3) Gouramis and Bettas (they are related) are originally meat eaters so their mouth was designed for harder things than flakes. Try getting pellets instead of flakes and see if that helps. When I had Honey Gourami, they would as well do that with the flakes but still managed to eat all of them.

renthus
Hrm... I have some pellets that my pond's goldfish never really showed interest in. I might try those with him. Here's hoping he likes 'em ^^

renthus
He's acting healthy at this point, other than being a ridiculously picky eater. Honestly, at this point, I think I'm just going to starve him onto the pellets. I'll leave one normal sized pellet and a couple micropellets in there and just replace them when he gets around to eating them. It's not enough to cause an ammonia spike and none of the other fish care about 'em.

Nikita
That sounds like a good plan. I have done the same before and my fish eventually switched to eating pellets.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ManMan125
Replies
Views
Daylin
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views